X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with dual monitor-buying xmas pressie for son

Hi
    my teenager son built he is own PC earlier this year,
    he got a palit geforce GTX 960 Graphics card & VE228TR monitor.
    Im thinking of getting him another VE228TR monitor as he wants to play games on one & trade/chat on other monitor
    I'm a little confused re cables etc
    If I purchase another VE228TR monitor would I need a cable splitter? as far as I can see the only free output on his PC is a DVI-D.

Thanks

reference palit card has DVI-D, DVI-I, HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.2
    any of them should be able to carry signal and be set as primary monitor/secondary within settings. I'm not super teccied up on it, but i've used both DVI ports with the same type of cable before now I think.

Comment

Thanks. i'm getting myself a bit confused I think!
      currently the main monitor is using dvi-i. so presumably I would need to buy a dvi-d dual link cable when I purchase the 2nd monitor?

Comment

From what I can see (and quick googles) 2 of them side by side should be simples with DVI cables that should come in the box.
        DVI-D cables work on all 4 connection points (2xDVI-D in monitors and 1DVI-D on card and another DVI-I on card)
        So should only need to buy the 2nd monitor.. I'd hope he has separate speakers so no worrying about setting them up.. Speakers on monitors are just a complete no no for anything more than web browsing.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonchester View Post
          From what I can see (and quick googles) 2 of them side by side should be simples with DVI cables that should come in the box.
          DVI-D cables work on all 4 connection points (2xDVI-D in monitors and 1DVI-D on card and another DVI-I on card)
          So should only need to buy the 2nd monitor.. I'd hope he has separate speakers so no worrying about setting them up.. Speakers on monitors are just a complete no no for anything more than web browsing.
          Thanks Moonchester, great help.
          speakers... yeah Ive gathered that, the info i've read are that monitor speakers are a waste of space.
          he does use headphones all the time.

Comment

Another option would be a DVI-D/HDMI adaptor. Or a DVI-D/HDMI cable. (Just found one of those lying around in a drawer.)

Then both monitors could use the DVI-D input.

I wouldn't have a clue as to whether that is beneficial!
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
            Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

For 1080p displays, both DVI ports on the card can use a standard DVI cable (DVI-I) to two monitors just fine.
              I like haikus
              But sometimes they don't make sense
              Refrigerator

Comment

Working...
              X