Spec me a......resolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me a......resolution

I've thought about getting a new graphics card, with 3 new games I will be playing this autumn all looking like they will push my aging 7870 hard.
    But while weighing up my options I found myself asking what resolution I will be playing at.

You see, I'm the kinda guy who will replace bits of my pc, but I expect to keep the same monitor for several years.

I see no point going 4k as you currently have to go beyond my budget to get a graphics card that will run it.
    So I looked at 2k. But there aren't that many, and response rates aren't great leading me to believe that maybe they aren't aimed at gaming.

In fact, all the freesync, 120hz, g-sync and low response rate monitors are all 1080p.

So where is the future of gaming going?
    Do I hold off buying anything until 4k capable graphics cards become the norm?
    Do I go cheapish 1440p and a current high end card?
    Or do I spend more on a decent 1080p monitor, and less on the GPU?

Budget of around 500ish and desk space that won't probably stretch beyond 26"
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

1440p
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

1440p and gtx 970 is the sweet spot imo.
      He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
      Originally posted by BigIan88
      turn off that sexy nonsense
      Originally posted by Salad Soup
      turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Another +1, 1440p is good for mid-high end at the minute. I've borrowed a 1440p a few times and it's really easy to adapt to from 1920, hopefully will make the jump to 4K in the future easier as right now I still don't think software support (particularly actual apps) is there yet.
        Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
        Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Another one for 1440p here

Windows looks great, games look sharp and performance is still good on current gen cards. 4K is awful for windows and reading text, games look great but expect to float around 25-40 fps on 'high'
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

if i was in the market for new hardware today i would be looking at a cheap 4k screen for my desktop and saving for a vr headset to game on.

i wouldn't touch a 970 or any card with less than 1 full 4gb block of vram as dx12 looms large on the horizon. nv pr team is already hard at work trying to make game devs work around the issues they want to continue to create.

that being said i have spent the past 3 years at 2560 by 1600/1440 and 4k is the only place for me to go.

for a while and even during this summer i have been saying that 2k (2560 by x) is the place to be. but as 4k screens are becoming affordable and now with hbm, 1 gpu can push that many pixels, i think it is about the tipping point. future gpu with hbm2 will only get better for 4 and 8k resolutions and these screens will continue to drop in price.

4k is great for productivity too not just games. the extra desktop real estate, being able to see more of what you're working on all on one screen is not something you can really quantify. but as a 2k user i am very jelly of a mate who has recently gone 4k for this reason alone. not to mention the animation stuff i was viewing for an upcoming cgi masterclass of a blockbuster movie.

as a gamer vr is coming. screens are about to go the way of the dodo and i would look at what people are saying you need to power one of those. get your system ready so when they're here you can join the future!
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

I prefer 640x480

Originally posted by Aaron
              I want those sweet cherries

Comment

yea i like the get fit resolution myself, see loads in the gym in jan
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

VR?

I've already got a Sony stereo headset (aka teh futures) and I can't use it for gaming unless I want a big ol' headache

It's great for watching 3D movies if I recline and stay quite still. VR is another massive gimmick and no-one is going to be ditching monitors in favour of headsets any time, now or in the future.
                  turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

I switched from a 22" 1920x1080 to a 29" 2560x1080 a few months ago and honestly it's the best money I've spent on my PC setup.

If anything it could still do with being a tad bigger overall, maybe 32-34", but the aspect ratio is perfect for gaming. Makes games so much more immersive.

And I can now watch the majority of films with completely borderless fullscreen goodness. I would never even consider going back to a 'normal' monitor after having this.
                    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                      VR?

VR is another massive gimmick and no-one is going to be ditching monitors in favour of headsets any time, now or in the future.
                      quoting for future reasons
                      Plato

Comment

Weird then. A lot of you seem to agree with me, that better than 1080p is necessary but the hardware isn't there for 4K yet.

So why then are the monitor manufacturers ignoring the 1440p market? There are so few available compared to even 4k. And they aren't trying to entice gamers with silly low response times or 144hz refresh rates.

Edit...
                        Now then. I wouldn't previously consider a GTX980 (nonTi), considering them overkill for 1440p but insufficient for 4k. The 970 does 1440p for less.
                        However. I've just looked and Aria have 4 980's well BELOW 400. When did this happen? It's now basically 100 extra for a 980 rather than 970. And you are getting the full 4GB of full bandwidth memory.
                        So, is the 980 still a no-mans-land card, or for 380 is it worth it over a 970?

And finally, anyones views on these two monitors?
                        https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...roductId=62996
                        https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Moni...roductId=64703

I prefer Dell as a manufacturer, but does anyone with the Dell have response time issues?
                        Last edited by cruciate; 12-10-15, 18:28.
                        the trails is where life flows best
                        Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                          quoting for future reasons
                          I've had the headset for a couple of years, nowts changed mate I still don't believe it'll take off.

Comment

I game on an IPS Dell, with 12ms response I think officially, never had an issue. Think mines the u2312HM
                            Originally posted by Aaron
                            I want those sweet cherries

Comment

vertigo might be an issue for some idk other need to get contact lenses maybe. but the new headsets are game changers for 360 movies and with steam and sony behind all 3 you know gaming is on the agenda.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ft-vs-htc-vive

some might see it as a fad, others the next logical step in digital immersion.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X