Colour accurate 4K monitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour accurate 4K monitor?

I have an ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor at the moment and despite attempts to correct the colours, I've never been completely happy with it when it comes to colour reproduction and photo editing.

After editing on a friends Macbook over the weekend, its enlightened me to how bad the colours are on my current monitor and how it's lacking the sharpness of a better display. Normally, after editing a photo I export the file to dropbox and view the photo on my phone to check how the colours look. As you can appreciate, this is less than ideal and a pain the proverbial sometimes so i'm in the market looking for a new monitor.

I don't have many requirements other than it has to be 4K and have accurate colour reproduction. Connections are unimportant and as long as the monitor has a 60hz refresh rate, i'm happy (anything more is a bonus). I've been looking at an ASUS 27" MX27UC but open to suggestions.
    Last edited by BigIan88; 2 weeks ago.
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Does it HAVE to be 4k? Also, whats your budget?

Have you thought about other options such as keeping your existing monitor, but investing in some calibration equipment, so you can calibrate any monitor you work on?

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

It doesn't absolutely have to be 4K, I'd settle for 1440p if I needed to. Its just nice to have the space to multitask on the desktop whilst editing.

I've various calibration settings from various websites and they've subjectively looked worse than the settings I used. The calibration tools themselves arent cheap and whilst I can see them having value in future for any other monitors I buy, I can't justify the cost considering how little it would get used (once every 5-6 years?)

No budget so to speak but looking to spend under 600 if possible.
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but that doesn't make sense to me...

You're willing to spend 600 now on a colour calibrated monitor, having already spent a decent amount on the ASUS recently.. And then, reading between the lines of your post, another 600 in 5-6 years time.

But you're not prepared to pay ~200 now for something to calibrate your current monitor, saving you ~400 now, and then enabling you to get cheaper monitors in the future which you can calibrate yourself?

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, which is equally possible?

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
        X