Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth holding off monitor upgrade for HDR to get more popular?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth holding off monitor upgrade for HDR to get more popular?

I'm currently running an ASUS 29" 2560x1080 (21:9) monitor and I'm looking to upgrade, the Samsung CF791 seems to get great reviews and is just what I'm looking for (3440x1440 in a a 34" frame, beautiful).

However it doesn't seem to be HDR compatible so I'm wondering if this is something I should wait to become a bit more mainstream as I don't want a monitor of this value to be missing the next 'must have' feature after only a few months. But equally I'm not willing to fork out another 250 for this feature if it's going to be meh. Thoughts?
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

The few reviews of HDR monitors i've read all got slated as a gimmick. I can't recall model numbers, but they were Dell IPS monitors with HDR.
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Comment

in my humble opinion, HDR is pointless.

It's faffing around with brightness and contrast settings to give an illusion of 'deeper' colours, at the expense of decent overall image quality. Again, all IMO, but that's how I see it.
      Originally posted by coiler
      He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
      Originally posted by BigIan88
      turn off that sexy nonsense
      Originally posted by Salad Soup
      turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Also anything below 1000 nits of brightness is fake HDR. Proper HDR is around 1500 nits.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

The difference it makes doesn't warrant the additional cost in my opinion.
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

True HDR is good and in certain circumstances looks much better than 'standard'.

Pseudo HDR (my own term ) is a bit of a waste of time - essentially what Omega was talking about.

And the prices that 'HDR' kit is commanding at the moment isn't worth it. Maybe once it's standard across mainstream equipment, then it'll be worth considering - once the premium price has dropped away.

Originally posted by coiler
            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

from my understanding, you are better off having a higher quality/ accurate colour range from a good IPS panel, rather than faff around with HDR. HDR will certainly become a more relevant thing, but game engines are geared for a particular image anyway and having your screen alter itself to adjust for what games are trying to intentionally render tends to be counter intuitive. I think HDR is certainly a more 'visual, home theatre' feature rather than something that is really worth picking up for gaming. Games will certainly pay attention to the technology, but at the same time, its not really gonna be ground breaking.

Comment

Most of the comments I've had back on Reddit and from my own research confirm exactly what you guys have said. Not currently developed enough to warranty the extra expense and certainly not worth waiting for as any progress will be slow anyway.

However I'm dubious about how my 970 will cope with the extra pixels now after seeing people with 10 series cards are having to turn things down.

So I think the real question is should I wait for the 20 series cards to come out and see what kind of performance they're giving at the higher resolutions before committing to a 700 monitor that I can't use to it's full potential.

Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Comment

2560x1080 = 2.7 million pixels odd

3440x1440 = 4.9 million pixels odd

2k is 3.6 million pixels

So i'd say a 970 definetely won't cope with good FPS and high detail.

You'd looking at gtx 1070/1070ti/1080 territory IMHO

Its a resolution between 2k > 4k so big graphics card requirement

Comment

Quite a jump when you do the sums on the pixel count like that!

At the time I bought the 970 it was the best option as I only had a clapped out 500W PSU and cluttered Coolermaster case; anything bigger would have needed different power connectors (more than the 4+2 my old 560 needed)

I've since upgraded to a lovely EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Modular PSU and a Fractal Define S case, so I've got plenty of overhead for a card upgrade.
                    Last edited by Cypher; 5 days ago.

Comment

gtx 2080?

Comment

Working...
                      X