Ditching VR, Going triple screens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditching VR, Going triple screens

You heard it here first, VR is not ready yet...
    I'm selling my Vive and going to go for triple screens on the simulator.

The specs i would like are 27" 1440p, 144mhz, G-Sync & as small bezel as possible. Now why on earth are all those screens 600-800 Each?! I don't want to pay anything like that so think i will have to drop the 1440p and go back to 1080p. The question is will i notice the difference? A 1080p screen with the above specs can be had for 400-500 each which is better. Plus i need to factor in a triple floor standing monitor stand.

I'm running a GTX980 Strix at the moment, I guess this is going to struggle with triple 1080's also?

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

They cost that much because of gsync, freesync is half that.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

But freesync means i would need an AMD card right?

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Believe it still works for Nvidia cards but is called fast sync? don't quote me on it though.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Is GSync a must-have ?
          I admit I'm not up to speed with monitor tech, but looks like you're doubling the price (at least) just for that one feature :O
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

most gamers I know turn it off and frame rate limit in game options - pointless feature according to most
            Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
            Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Perfect, thanks guys. G-sync is out which helps the decision. I think if i get a better GPU it will help anyway.

Comment

What about having one of these in the middle and then two smaller 27" at the sides? https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49hg90dmnxza/
                They work out at the same height exactly but different resolutions and aspect ratios. Could this work with nvidia surround?

Comment

i think that crossover (is the latest korean brand that) have 1440p, 144hz, freesync screens for under 300 (+20% import) each on fleabay.

no overclocking or anything like the older korean imports which i (and a few others here) have and love.
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

I bought one of these...https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49hg90dmnxza/

Just been delivered so will set it up tonight. I will see if it's good enough for what i require or might go triple screens at a later date but that had a whole host of other GPU problems. Ideally need an AMD card the same specs at a 1080ti which does not exist yet.

Comment

eyefinity has worked great with 1 click when i have tried it.

but yea, the price gauging on amd gpu makes it so they ain't really worth looking at :/
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

Wouldn't worry too much about GPU prices, they will be major correction early 2018. Ethereum is pushing ahead with Casper, which will render GPU mining obsolete on ETH. This will lead to massive sell off of psu's, gpu's, motherboards, cpu's, ram etc thousands upon thousands globally.

Comment

So i set up the monitor last night and it looks amazing. I also connected my 27" dell 1440 monitor and made a custom resolution of 5760 x 1080 which i set in game (Project cars 2) and it works fine. The GUI was a little off screen but that can be changed. I just wanted to test that i could mix resolutions. I guess older games will be tricky but until AMD bring out something worth while i might stick with the single 49".

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                            So i set up the monitor last night and it looks amazing. I also connected my 27" dell 1440 monitor and made a custom resolution of 5760 x 1080 which i set in game (Project cars 2) and it works fine. The GUI was a little off screen but that can be changed. I just wanted to test that i could mix resolutions. I guess older games will be tricky but until AMD bring out something worth while i might stick with the single 49".
                            TTIUWP

Sounds good though mate
                            --
                            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                              What about having one of these in the middle and then two smaller 27" at the sides? https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c49hg90dmnxza/
                              They work out at the same height exactly but different resolutions and aspect ratios. Could this work with nvidia surround?
                              Different resolutions gets screwy in nvidia surround, from my limited playing about with it...
                              Why did the chicken cross the road?
                              To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Working...
                              X