Replacing a dell ultra sharp 2412

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a dell ultra sharp 2412

I am currently using a dell ultra sharp u2412 1920x1200 monitor. Itís a 24 inch panel but it lacks a hdmi input.

im looking to upgrade the monitor to something either 27 or 32 inch with a 1440p resolution. GPU is a gtx 1070 asus strix overclocked. CPU currently is an overclocked i7 3770k although potentially upgrading this in the new year.

potentially going to run a ps3 / PS4 on it as well.

Budget around £350.

Just looking for recommendations at the moment.
    Back up and running fully

I have a dell Ultrasharp 2515 (1440p) and 2415 (1080p) as my two work monitors (I think thats the model numbers anyway)

Really lovely screens. I think they have HDMI, DP and DVI as their inputs. If I was buying for me, the 25" would be on my list! Just be careful to double check as some of the later 25" models (2516, possibly) had a lot of problems with bleed issues. Not sure if they've fixed that on the latest models though.

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Others have found Dell decent but I got a UP2516D and it was was one of the worst monitors I've seen in the last 5 years with horrific backlight and colour bleed, sent it off to Dell who said it was fine and there was nothing wrong with it, so either their monitors are the biggest heap of shite you'll ever see or if they are broken they'll just lie and say it's working fine. It was a well known problem with the 2x16 range at the time so if they had just admitted it and said it was dodgy then sorted a replacement I wouldn't have minded, but going out and saying it was perfectly fine has really put me off them ever again.

Edit: For anyone wondering this is what dell consider perfectly fine for a monitor with "Professional-grade colour" that is supposed to be factory calibrated so that differences in colour are indistinguishable to the human eye.

and even worse if you looked at it from a low angle.

Last edited by Mokey; 27-11-17, 18:35.

Comment

Yea my Dell monitor is ok, but wouldn't jump to buy another from them.

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post
          Others have found Dell decent but I got a UP2516D and it was was one of the worst monitors I've seen in the last 5 years with horrific backlight and colour bleed, sent it off to Dell who said it was fine and there was nothing wrong with it, so either their monitors are the biggest heap of shite you'll ever see or if they are broken they'll just lie and say it's working fine. It was a well known problem with the 2x16 range at the time so if they had just admitted it and said it was dodgy then sorted a replacement I wouldn't have minded, but going out and saying it was perfectly fine has really put me off them ever again.

Edit: For anyone wondering this is what dell consider perfectly fine for a monitor with "Professional-grade colour" that is supposed to be factory calibrated so that differences in colour are indistinguishable to the human eye.

and even worse if you looked at it from a low angle.

Yeah that's what I was getting at in my post. When I was looking to order for work, I came across shed loads of reviews that said to stay away from the 2516 due to the backlight bleed - so Aria managed to find a 2515 and got that in for me.

Hopefully they'll fix it in the next iteration, but I went from being someone who would buy Dell monitors because I knew they were great quality, to someone who now would only buy after reading many many reviews on them.

Comment

It's very much like silicon lottery light bleed with monitors/tv's some have it, some don't, some have it worse than others.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

The 2516s seemed to get it pretty consistently though - it wasn't just a one off that a few people got.

When you're paying well in to the hundreds for a monitor, it's not what you expect.

Comment

Dell made a change from low glow IPS panels to standard glow.

I returned several newer models, in games in a dark room, when the game is in a darker area too, the corners were very distracting and washed out with glow.

u2417 for example was shocking on glow. Settled in the end on a U2415 in the end which was on par with the u2414.

"On a black image there is a characteristic pale glow introduced to the image when viewed from a wide angle, commonly referred to as IPS glow. This is a bit more than we'd seen from the U2417HJ which we had labelled as a moderate-glow panel. It's also not a low-glow panel like the previous U2414H was, where that showed very little IPS glow at all.
                "
                http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2417h.htm

Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Working...
                X