X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3 Speeds

My current ram is 8gb 2133mhz Geil black dragon

I am looking to buy 16gb of Hyper X 1866mhz

question 1 will i see any noticeable difference in the slight reduction in speed? i am guessing not

question 2 can i mix the 1866mhz hyper x and the 2133mhz geil? i am guessing i can but would have to reduce the geil to match the 1866mhz speed of the hyper x.

Its been a while since i bought parts.
    Back up and running fully

1) You'd see more performance increase by the increase in available RAM, than any decrease in actual ram speeds.

2) correct
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Excellent cheers m8

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UrKo View Post
        Excellent cheers m8

Also, double check the timings, eg 9-9-9-24
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Can tighten the timings with a lowered speed

Comment

just sell the old ones dude, mis matching ram will cost you performance from an increase in latency. how noticeable it would be is really down to a per use basis, but it is there

the 16gb set will probably run 2133, if not higher
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

You'd only ever really notice it in benchmark scores though, and the performance boost you'd get would outweigh the latency increase. Especially when you're only talking a couple of hundred mhz..

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

how often will the 16gb limit be the issue?

i know i can fill it (and 32gb) with ease but it is about the usage of the system. i would guess 90% : gaming 10% 1 handed browsing and here you want it to be as instant as possible to get the best fps (or page closing ability)
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

Lol yeah gaming primarily.

I will be doing some photo editing as well as i get more profficient with my SLR.

Other than that the pc is constantly folding. No one handed browsing

Comment

folding will get nice gains from having your ram as tight as possible. photo editing might like the extra ram.
                    Plato

Comment

Working...
                    X