2x kit vs two seperate kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x kit vs two seperate kits

I want to get 16 GB worth of RAM, Does it make any difference if I get a single 2x8 GB package or buy two separate 8 GB kits(the exact same kit)? Does the double kit come with some sort of prior configuration which makes them work together? Can I just plug in both two separately bought RAMs and expect them to work?
    someone told me that I will have to do some manual configuration. is that true? if so, how complicated this manual set up will be? Will there be like online manuals where I can follow through? Could you elaborate a little bit?

The reason I am asking is that buying two single kits seems to be cheaper! So was just wondering...
    Also, my mobo has 4 x DIMM so while I am currently going for 2x8GB, I might want to buy an additional two in the future, so learning how to stack RAMs would certainly be of interest to me!

Buying separate sticks should work, and probably does in 95% of cases provided the RAM is the same Voltage, Timings, and Speed - Eg: 1.5v, 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24.

Buying a kit is guaranteed to work... so you're paying a little extra for them to have been tested together prior to leaving the manufacturer.

If you think you may want greater than 16gb in future, definitely get 2x8gb... whether that's in a kit or in 2 separate but identical sticks is up to you. Both should work fine
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by ShbSara View Post
      I want to get 16 GB worth of RAM, Does it make any difference if I get a single 2x8 GB package or buy two separate 8 GB kits(the exact same kit)?
      No.

Does the double kit come with some sort of prior configuration which makes them work together?
      No, they are not configurated, but have been tested together and possess a known similar specification to each other, that is to say, they may have closer specification tolerances to each other when compared to purchasing two similar individual modules.

Can I just plug in both two separately bought RAMs and expect them to work?
      Yes.

someone told me that I will have to do some manual configuration. is that true?
      More than likely. The BIOS default settings may include setting your RAM to 9-9-9-24 1T (Auto) and XMP to Disabled.

if so, how complicated this manual set up will be?
      Rated: Easy.

Will there be like online manuals where I can follow through?
      More than likely available on the manufacturer's website.

Could you elaborate a little bit?
      In the BIOS under a section possibly named Advanced Memory Settings you will see entries similar to:

XMP [ ] Disabled
      System Memory Multiplier [13.33] Auto
      Memory Frequency [1333MHz] Auto
      Performance Enhance [ ] Turbo
      DRAM Timing Selectable [ ] Auto

Overtyping, or pressing the + or - keys, would manually control the memory settings.
      For example:

XMP [ ] Disabled
      System Memory Multiplier [13.33] 16.00
      Memory Frequency [1333MHz] 1600MHz
      Performance Enhance [ ] Normal
      DRAM Selectable Timing [ ] Quick

The brackets are there to show a centre column of information. Notice the System Memory Multiplier and Memory Frequency do not change instantly, and will only update after you press F10 / Save & Exit and leave the BIOS.

Also, changing DRAM Selectable Timing from Auto to Quick allows you to enter another section within Advanced Memory Settings probably named something similar to Channel A Timing Settings.

Again, you will see entries along the lines of:

Channel A Standard Timing Control
      CAS Latency [9] Auto
      tRCD [9] Auto
      tRP [9] Auto
      tRAS [24] Auto

Channel A Advanced Timing Control
      Command Rate (tCMD) [1] Auto

Changes to these sub-sections may require entries of:

Channel A Standard Timing Control
      CAS Latency [9] 11
      tRCD [9] 11
      tRP [9] 11
      tRAS [24] 27

Channel A Advanced Timing Control
      Command Rate (tCMD) [1] 2T

as in the case of Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17066-C11 2133MHz Dual/Quad Channel Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A2133C11)
      http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=56836
      but of course your memory modules may require different timing settings.

At this point you may wish to set your DRAM Voltage. Do so by coming out of Channel A Timing Settings and Advanced Memory Settings, and entering Advanced Voltage Settings. There should be a sub-section named similarly to DRAM Voltage Control which displays:

DRAM Voltage [1.500V] Auto

Change this to read:

DRAM Voltage [1.500V] 1.500V

To save all these settings you would press F10 / Save & Exit and the BIOS will save your settings before booting into your operating system.

It is important to realise this illustration refers to a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard and only serves as nothing more than a general overview.

However, it does show to manually control your memory you need only concern yourself with 3 sections in the BIOS:

Advanced Memory Settings
      Channel A Timing Settings
      DRAM Voltage Control

The reason I am asking is that buying two single kits seems to be cheaper! So was just wondering...
      Are you thinking of:

8GB (1x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600MHz CL8 DDR3 Module @ 56.99 inc VAT
      http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=55094

when compared to:

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit @ 143.99 inc VAT
      http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=55442

having a 30.00 difference in price?

Also, my mobo has 4 x DIMM so while I am currently going for 2x8GB, I might want to buy an additional two in the future, so learning how to stack RAMs would certainly be of interest to me!
      The silk screening on your motherboard may include text next to your memory slots similar to:

DDR3_4 (Black)
      DDR3_2 (Grey)
      DDR3_3 (Black)
      DDR3_1 (Grey)

Hope this helps, and please remember the figures quoted here are for illustrative purposes only and in no way represent recommendations for your required settings.

John.

Comment

Working...
      X