Recommend me a NAS and switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a NAS and switch

I'm looking to get a NAS for Xmas but also need a small gigabit switch too.

I've been looking at the LG N2R1 NAS Enclosure With DVD±RW or the Netgear RND2000 ReadyNAS Duo 2-Bay NAS Enclosure. I have drives I can drop in there straight away so going 2 x 1TB isn't an issue.

Any other recommendations?

Also, need a small 4 or 5 port switch too. Preferably Gb connection.

Thanks.
    There was a signature here

Switch-wise, for the money you really can't beat one of these, got 1 myself and I was dubious, bit "it just works" (tm)

TP-Link Gigabit 5 Port Desktop Switch

--
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Acer have an active one with an atom and 2x640GB drives for £199.99. PM me if you want a link
      Galaxy S Club Member 15

i5 2500K | MSI P67A-GD55 | 4GB 1600MHz Mushkin Blackline | Asus GTX 460 in SLI | Mushkin 40GB SSD | 160GB SATA Drive | 1TB Samsung F3| Corsair TX750W | Corsair H50 | CM690 Case

Comment

tbvh if you have a old pc lieing about save some money maybe pop in some new hard drives which are biger and load freenas up might save you a bit of cash plus if its only a nas box a old system should do fine

Comment

Cheers guys, I'd seen the TP-LInk one & looks like it might just do the job & for about £15 it's a bargain.

I did used to have 2 PC's, one as a file server, but don't really want to run another PC if possible and a NAS would fit where I need it to go where as a midi tower won't.
          There was a signature here

Comment

oh i see xD just in collage we have like been put off from buying a nas box well a aceer one becuase its never worked there and they have sent it off twice allready so if i was you i would get a differnt one to be on the safe side but its up to you i would recomend hp as i have heard good about there home sever's (nas boxes)

Comment

it's COLLEGE !!!!!!
              Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
              Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Please be careful what NAS you go for. Some require the drive be formatted in some weird format that can't be read by anything else. I've got one and gave up using it. Also consider how much storage you will ultimately need. I'm intending to build a file server as 3 external enclosures is still not enough.
                Fractal Designs Define XL; Intel i5 2500k; Antec Kuhler 920; 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz RAM; XFX HD5850;
                Corsair TX750M PSU; ASRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3; Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD; Intel 320 120GB SSD; 2 x Samsung 1TB
                & Loving it

Comment

Working...
                X