Recomended ram for AMD new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomended ram for AMD new build

Hi im trying to figure out which ram will be best for me... but dont know enough about timings it seems. I'm after best bang for buck, love the OCZ brand, black styling is a plus, but not if its gonna hamper performance!!

all 4xgb dddr3 1600
    -=-------------------------------
    OCZ3P1600LV4GK OCZ platinum @ 7 7 7 24 for 60 (used)
    or
    OCZ (with AOD support (not sure if this works on my 890gb chipset mobo))AMD black edition CL 8-8-8-24 for 80
    or
    Patriot 7 7 7 20 for 60

isnt the 24 TRAS basically the total cycle time - so how quick th3e memory is overall? so the two OCZ sticks perform the same, but the patriot is quicker? i WILL be overclocking if i will get more speed out of these, maybe the OCZs will overclock better (or underclock the timings).

Ive read a review that lower clocks AND lower Mhz is better for quickness - i currently have ddr2 platinum ocz which runs at 5 5 5 15 and scores 7.5 in windows 7 index.... these ddr3 sticks score around 6.5 im told - much slower, even though its ddr3?

So confused which stuff to get... need to make up my mind quick though as the platinum i can see somewhere used (only one left) at just 70, same as the pariot with postage costs so PLEASE any help appreciated
    Rig- i5 2500k +Spin Q / Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 / 8gb Patriot G 1600 / Crucial 128gb SSD & 1tb F3 / NZXT M59 / MSI Frozr Gtx470 SLI
    Hi-Fi/AV- 42" Toshiba Regza XV / Sony Blu-Ray / Asus Xonar DX / KEF q55.2's & 3 Eggs / Onkyo tx-sr508

I wouldn't be dropping 60 on second hand RAM - thats for sure.

Comment

I am amd by the way, thinking of gettin a 955 be cpu

I also see the OCZ obsidian for just 73 new, but has CL 9-9-9-24 timings, which arent so good right? it looks nice though the black stuff!

VOLATGE QUESTIONS
      So is 1.65 about right for an AMD board, i mean, what should i be looking for volt wise - im finding a lot of the OCZ memory im liking is being listed as low voltage intel ram - but this is still ok for amd systems - you just have to up the voltage, right? which in theory if the chips come with lower volts, will give better overclock potential?
      Rig- i5 2500k +Spin Q / Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 / 8gb Patriot G 1600 / Crucial 128gb SSD & 1tb F3 / NZXT M59 / MSI Frozr Gtx470 SLI
      Hi-Fi/AV- 42" Toshiba Regza XV / Sony Blu-Ray / Asus Xonar DX / KEF q55.2's & 3 Eggs / Onkyo tx-sr508

Comment

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
        I wouldn't be dropping 60 on second hand RAM - thats for sure.
        Is that cos you woudnt know whats wrong with it? cheapest i can find it for is around 90 so 30 off is pretty good... assuming it works. Is advertised as new, although i feel our opinion - never bought second hand parts for a new build.... save a penny save a pound though - 30 could buy me a better CPU

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the timings are good but i don't personally rate OCZ RAM and similar Corsair kits can be had for little more than 60.

Low-voltage RAM will work fine, your best going for stuff rated 1.65v and lower as a.) it's likely to be cheaper and b.) it will have more resale value and possibly c.) it uses less electric/produces less heat etc etc.

Comment

So which out of the three do you think would perform the best... am i right in the order of performance i have put them in below (worst to best)??

4) OCZ obsidian CL 9-9-9-24 73
            2) OCZ3P1600LV4GK OCZ platinum @ 7 7 7 24 for 60 (used)
            3) OCZ AMD black edition CL 8-8-8-24 for 80
            1) Patriot 7 7 7 20 for 67

Comment

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=41783

It's not OCZ but it's higher quality, slightly slower but you'll not even notice the difference.

58 New!

It's also hand tested in the UK I believe.

Comment

i see about 59 new, where are you looking? I would buy at that price, even though it is 1333 with long timings

Comment

hahah the brand is well funny though to be honest.... are they really better quality than the OCZ - i mean with a name like Mushkin (sounds like an old lady calling her cutie dog) and selling quirky products like this > http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...ource=googleps

Comment

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/m...eback_review/7

It's not the 4GB set I linked, it's their redline set which has better overclocking potential but the review shows off the quality of the RAM.

Can't really beat 9.5/9/10 for a score.

I meant 58 new too

Comment

Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
                      http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/m...eback_review/7

It's not the 4GB set I linked, it's their redline set which has better overclocking potential but the review shows off the quality of the RAM.

Can't really beat 9.5/9/10 for a score.

I meant 58 new too
                      what im confused so u were supposed to link me to REDLINE ridgeback, not sliverline or something

Comment

Originally posted by slim01 View Post
                        what im confused so u were supposed to link me to REDLINE ridgeback, not sliverline or something
                        No, get the silverline.

You questioned Mushkin as a company so I linked you to that review.

Their RAM is quality from what I've heard.

Comment

No, get the silverline.

You questioned Mushkin as a company so I linked you to that review.

Their RAM is quality from what I've heard.
                          ooooh I see what you mean... You dont rekkon that would be any slower really then than the 1600 mhz 777 24, even though its 1333 @ 999 24? is that last bumber "24" the most important timing then? Because i can only see that those speeds llok quite a bit slower

what aout the Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Blackline - 996659B thats only 70.... but cas 9... arg

Comment

Originally posted by slim01 View Post
                            ooooh I see what you mean... You dont rekkon that would be any slower really then than the 1600 mhz 777 24, even though its 1333 @ 999 24? is that last bumber "24" the most important timing then? Because i can only see that those speeds llok quite a bit slower

what aout the Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Blackline - 996659B thats only 70.... but cas 9... arg
                            People tell me there is no difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for speed.

DDR2 is 667/800MHz DDR3 is 1333/1600MHz so I doubt you'll notice a difference.

I've no idea about timing but I doubt that makes a difference either.

Comment

People tell me there is no difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for speed.

DDR2 is 667/800MHz DDR3 is 1333/1600MHz so I doubt you'll notice a difference.

I've no idea about timing but I doubt that makes a difference either.
                              Really? Of course there is a difference though... might not be much. MMMmmmmmm.... i might check out some more info

Comment

Working...
                              X