Windows 7 32-Bit With More Than 4GB Of Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 32-Bit With More Than 4GB Of Memory

Is it true that if I want to install more than 4gbs of ram I need to switch to windows 7 64-bit?

Thanks

It is true that if you want to use all of your 4gb of ram or more, then switch to x64.
    My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

afriad so mate, windows 7 x32 only supports 3GB of memory
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

In a word,yes.

You can physically install more than 4GB of ram in a 32bit operating system pc but it will be wasted as the os will only use about 3.5GB.

So for anything over 4GB you need a 64 bit os.

Comment

Even worse than above, the total memory allocation for a 32bit Os is ~3GB and that means if you have a modern GPU which often have 1GB RAM onboard, then an absolute maximum of ~2GB of system RAM will be available.

Comment

RAM is counted after all the other memory is counted, so GPU, CPU cache etc. will all add up and remove the total amount of RAM available on 32bit.
            fd photography | XBL: FinalD | DA

Comment

I guess it is time for me to change from good old Windows 7 32-bit!

Thanks everybody

Comment

Originally posted by Bigian88 View Post
                afriad so mate, windows 7 x32 only supports 3GB of memory
                Originally posted by Tolmandary View Post
                Even worse than above, the total memory allocation for a 32bit Os is ~3GB and that means if you have a modern GPU which often have 1GB RAM onboard, then an absolute maximum of ~2GB of system RAM will be available.
                Not quite true - Generally, the rule of thumb for consumer versions of 32bit Windows is the maximum memory is 4Gb. So with a 1Gb Graphics card, you'd see 3Gb of RAM.

Although there are 32bit versions of windows that can support up to 128Gb, but thats a whole other discussion

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Tell us more Aaron sounds interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                    Although there are 32bit versions of windows that can support up to 128Gb, but thats a whole other discussion
                    Doesn't address it in the proper sense and is server only.
                    fd photography | XBL: FinalD | DA

Comment

Linkage

Comment

As Invader says, its the server software which is able to address more than 4Gb, when PAE (Physical Address Extension) is enabled too..

Let me do some digging for the relevent info..

EDIT:

Windows RAM Limits across all operating systems:
                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

What PAE is and how it works (And why the Operating System still doesnt address more than 4Gb RAM properly)
                        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=VS.85%29.aspx

Originally posted by coiler
                        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

interesting links, wonder why win 7 home permium is limited to 16gb whereas the pro version can take 192, sounds like a sales ploy to me
                          Main PC -Shuttle SN78SH7, Phenom II x2 550 BE, 4gb DDR2, 360gb Spinpoint, Geforce 8800 GT 512
                          Spare - Shuttle SN45G2, Athlon XP 2800+ 2gb DDR, 250gb, Geforce 6200 128
                          Netbook - ASUS EEEPC 900a 2gb ram, 8gb SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                            Not quite true - Generally, the rule of thumb for consumer versions of 32bit Windows is the maximum memory is 4Gb. So with a 1Gb Graphics card, you'd see 3Gb of RAM.
                            Also not quite true as I have a 4870 1GB card and have 4GB of ram
                            and have 3.5GB of usable memory

Comment

You are quire correct, sales ploy. Also why would a home user actually want more than 6-8 gb?
                              My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Working...
                              X