Terrible battery life on win 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible battery life on win 10?

I have been noticing recently that since my upgrade to windows 10 (from 8.1) my laptop is getting appallingly bad battery life, Is this known to be an issue or possibly just coincidence that the battery has decided that it just doesn't like being a battery anymore? the laptop is only 2 odd years old
    MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

Have you disabled the search bar in the task bat? I heard that drains battery life.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I would imagine, like any new OS, that there are many background tasks that can be turned off.
      I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
      Dave Burnett

Comment

Known problem:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29523...-life-bug.html
        http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-1...rse-1720970961

Go into system settings, battery saver. It will give you a vague idea of what's causing the drain.

As for stuff to disable, get rid of cortana and searchUI, disable the peer to peer updates (I actually leave it set to run on LAN only, but I'm not using batteries), look up privacy fixes and disable all the crap you don't use, and finally run the following in an elevated command prompt:

sc delete dmwappushsvc
        sc delete diagtrack
        ...and deny system accessing the file AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl with cacls

cd c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\etlogs\autologg er
        echo "" > AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
        cacls AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl /d SYSTEM
        Don't run this bit:
        If you have no problem with Microsoft collecting data and you use Win 10 in vmware. Then no need to do it.
        Privacy aside, it's an extra system service eating resources and battery power (albeit a minimal amount). An extra system service that serves no purpose to the end user.

Shamelessly stolen from here
        Last edited by FunkY; 05-09-15, 14:01.
        Why did the chicken cross the road?
        To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Always had it disabled MDD, I realise that assorted apps could be turned off but my battery life literally went from 3-4 hours to 30 minutes which was very perculiar.

I had half of that done already FunkY but i've tried the rest now so lets see if I can at least claw back into having hours of battery not minutes haha!
          MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

Comment

Working...
          X