Nexus 7 2012 charging problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexus 7 2012 charging problems.

I gave my old 2012 nexus 7 to my mum, and as far as I remember there was no problems with the device. Now though she is complaining that it won't charge I.E. she left it on charge today for several hours to find it was only at 2% when she powered it up.

Could this be a charger issue or battery issue? I got her a new USB cable as the original one had fraying wires and she is using the original asus charger so I know it shouldn't be either of those in theory, but I can't rule out the actual port on the tablet nor the battery although I have no idea.

Any help is appreciated
    "They're gonna find out
    I don't know who they are or what they're gonna find out
    But they're gonna find out
    And it's gonna be over real quick"

I seem to remember that there are different standards of USB cable as far as power rating goes. I didn't believe it, but if I use my original nexus 5 cable, it charges up in an hour or so if switched on. If I use a third party one (cheap one from Hong Kong!), it takes a huge amount longer, even with the same actual charging unit.

I'm still not convinced it isn't placebo, but it's worth a shot.

What happens if you charge it in aeroplane mode? Or even just completely switched off? It could also be something dead inside that's not registering the charge properly.

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Might also be the micro-USB port- check that the "tongue" is closer to the middle of the port. My phone's port went a bit too off centre and the pins didn't touch, making it not charge.
      I like haikus
      But sometimes they don't make sense
      Refrigerator

Comment

When this happened to me, it turned out that the micro-USB port on the Nexus had crapped out. Jiggle around with the connector and it may suddenly show signs of faster charging. But it all depends on the angle of attack.

This is a famous fault. So much so that you can buy replacement parts for a few quid.

There are instructions and videos out there on how to repair the thing. You just need the bits and a few tools. (The replacement USB port I bought came with all I needed to open the Nexus, but I had already bought one of those sets of repair tools with its plastic opening thingies and screwdrivers.)

It cost me about 20m to bring it back to life. A fraction of the cost of commercial services.

When I opened the Nexus I could see that the micro-USB connector was really just a few bits of bent foil. I guess that is the difference between Nexus and Apple's kit, with its hugely inflated price.
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
        Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post

It cost me about 20m to bring it back to life.
          20m?
          You could nearly buy an iwatch for that!
          the trails is where life flows best
          Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

That's a bit steep....

But now that mk mentions it, this rings a bell with something that happened to mine.

Try taking the back off and make sure all the internal wires are connected properly.. The battery wire is notorious for becoming disconnected, especially if it's been dropped.. It can affect the screen too..

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Cheers for the help guys.
              Switched to a hard-wired plug meant for my mums Doro mobile, and that seems to be charging it up acceptably. I still want to know what's up so will take a further look at the connector and such.
              "They're gonna find out

Comment

Originally posted by cruciate View Post
                20m?
                You could nearly buy an iwatch for that!
                m = micro in science.

So, real bargain.
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  That's a bit steep....

But now that mk mentions it, this rings a bell with something that happened to mine.

Try taking the back off and make sure all the internal wires are connected properly.. The battery wire is notorious for becoming disconnected, especially if it's been dropped.. It can affect the screen too..
                  There are several YouTube videos out there on dismantling the Nexus 7.

nexus 7 usb port repair youtube

or

nexus 7 repair youtube

Current cost of the USB port is between 7.99 and 13.86 with free delivery. (Check the usual places.) It is the bit that also comes with the audio jack.

Don't forget, if you can lay your hands on one at an acceptable price, Google also has a charging dock for the first generation Nexus 7. It uses different connectors.

Comment

I've removed the back a few times on my nexus 7 to unplug the battery but never taken it apart. If I do need to take it apart then i'll end up using the iFixit guide - https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nexus+7...placement/9925

Hoping it's just the charger/USB cable that's the problem, but if it is the USB port then not that much trouble to replace it and not too expensive either.
                    "They're gonna find out

Comment

Originally posted by darklighthim View Post
                      I've removed the back a few times on my nexus 7 to unplug the battery but never taken it apart.
                      If you have been in there to unplug the battery, and you have taken of the back – that's the complicated bit that needs the right tools – then the next steps are trivial. A couple of screws, a connector, and that's it.

It is not much more difficult than the stuff you have done already.

Comment

Going by the iFixit guide it's relatively easy looking should I need to do it. The tablet is currently sitting at around 10% but on charge so i've turned it off and will go back in bit to check up on it.
                        "They're gonna find out

Comment

Does it have the 5.1 update? If so, it might be worth a backup and reset.

Comment

It actually has a 4.4.4 rom on it at the moment (Slim Kat) but going to revert to stock android to see if that helps.
                            "They're gonna find out

Comment

Working...
                            X