Which laptop spec would you pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which laptop spec would you pick?

Friend is after a smallish laptop and has 400 poonds to spend.

Have recommended a custom 13.3 inch lafite model laptop, is an ultrabook as well so either,

Core i3 5010U 2.1ghz with intel HD5500 GPU

4gb ram and 1tb hard drive

OR

Pentium 3805U 1.9ghz with plain Intel HD GPU

8gb ram and 500gb hard drive,

Both have a 1080p screen and both are 400 quid.

He isnt a power user and will mainly only use the laptop for streaming video, browsing and MS Office, im inclined to go with the pentium option.

Freedom isn't free"

I would go with the better CPU. It's easier to up the RAM at a later date than it is to up the CPU

Comment

I'd also go with the first one. From the sound of it he's unlikely to need more than 4GB of RAM, and a better CPU / GPU never really hurts, plus more storage.

Not much in it though, probably both would do the job nicely, just seems to me that you lose a a fair bit to get that extra 4GB of RAM which you will quite likely never need with the second option.

Comment

Ahh, messed up there its a 500gb with the i3 with 4gb ram and a 1tb with the pentium and 8gb ram.

As the upgrade to the i3 is about 60 pound so loses storage and ram.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

In that case yeah, what you said, pentium is probably going to be fine since it's never going to be a gaming machine anyway.

Comment

Go for the i3 for better CPU and graphics unless they plan on using huge amounts of storage.
            Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
            Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
            i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

ram is usually upgradable easy enough, same for hdd/ssd, but cpu and gpu not so,. with that in mind, i'm with the others, grab the one with the better cpu/gpu combination

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
              - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

Dell Outlet Store FTW.....

Inspiron 13 - 7347 2-in-1 Laptop
                Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)
                Windows® 8.1
                8 GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (1x8GB)
                500 GB SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive (5400 RPM) with 8 GB Flash
                No Optical Device
                13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Truelife LED-Backlit Touch Display with Wide Viewing Angle (IPS)
                Back Up Media Not Included
                Windows® 8.1 (64 Bit) English
                Intel 7265AC + BT4.0 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5GHz, 2x2]
                LCD Back Cover : Silver (Touch)
                43 WHr, 3-Cell Battery (integrated)
                Internal English Keyboard
                Review:
                http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-In....128376.0.html
                Last edited by Gunslinger; 13-03-15, 20:17.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Comment

£370 scratched and dented it says.

We've gone with the Core i3 4gb ram and a 750gb WD black.

Cheers for the help.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

there was various ones i linked, i think that one spec'd above was refurbished, one was supposedly cracked and dented,

good hdd in that one you selected

Comment

Just ordered myself one of these as it turns out i can get it through work VAT free, ordered my friends that way too.

Gone with the Core i3, 8gb RAM, 120gb Msata SSD and a 1tb hdd for the low price of 436 managed to get my mate the same but with no SSD for 401.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

yeah, that's the kicker with the Dell outlet site that people forget, prices do not include VAT or P&P so they get to the checkout and the price takes a hike up big time !

Comment

Working...
                        X