Screw 4K, I'm upgrading to 1080p!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw 4K, I'm upgrading to 1080p!

My biggest niggle with my laptop has always been the low screen resolution of 1366 x 768. The panel itself is of decent quality but I really struggling using the resolution when I'm doing large projects etc with uni and I often resort to using my 23" Dell IPS.

So how is this possible? Its not a simple straight swap, often manufacturers take shortcuts to save money. The monitor cable (LVDS) in my laptop is 30 pin, and panels that are 1366 x 768 or less have a 30 pin connector. However anything above this resolution uses a 40 pin cable. As my laptop was the 1366x768 variety, it came with a 30 pin HD cable, however other models of my laptop had a 1080p panel which meant a 40 pin FHD LVDS cable was available as a spare part.

I thought if I am going to upgrade the panel, I wanted to do it properly. The panel I've chosen is a AUO B156HW01 V.4 - a 1080p, 95% gamut, matte panel so I should get some lovely colours once calibrated.

I'm also upgrading my Samsung M8 1TB 5,400 RPM to a HGST 1TB 7,200RPM drive as the Samsung has been making clicking noises for a while and changing the thermal paste from the stock Dell.

Pics when its all here, so far I just have a boring cable.

Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
    Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
    i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Lets hope it all works out for you!

(Mods at work again changing things!!! ) lol

Comment

y u upgrade to mechanical drive. SSD's ftw.
      Originally posted by andyn
      Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
      PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
      Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Looks like he already has a 250GB 840 in there, I guess the mech is just for storage.

That said though I'd still like two SSDs in a laptop, never ever hear that annoying spin up or noise or worry about dropping it and corrupting data!
        oooops I forgot to uncheck the signature box again..

Comment

Re: Screw 4K, I'm upgrading to 1080p!

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
          y u upgrade to mechanical drive. SSD's ftw.
          As above, I have my Samsung 840 250GB with all my programs and games on

I still use the mechanical as I've got my photos, music collection and everything else, would be pointless and costly putting them on a dedicated SSD, although you're right it would be lovely if it was silent.
          Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
          i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

After a week of using 1080p, I honestly couldn't go back to my old resolution and I don't know how I managed to put up with it for a year. Although I got a newer, lower quality gamut panel (despite being advertised as a 95% gamut), the quality is still very good and viewing angles are amazing, comparable to my Dell IPS. Colours are okay if not a little dull at times, but I'm not too bothered - its a vast improvement.

The fitting process was okay, only issue I ran into was when I booted up the first time there were random lines down the screen and the laptop was unusable - turns out the cable wasn't in properly so had to partially disassemble the whole thing just to wiggle the cable

Whilst I was at it, I decided to replace the thermal compound. Temps have dropped about 10 degrees on load for the CPU, graphics card about the same if not slightly higher.

Plenty of pics of the whole process!

Maintenance panel off:

Keyboard off....

Palmrest unclipped...

Old LVDS cable - note only 'HD'

Motherboard and heatsink:

The screen weighs the most now;

Can't believe how small the whole motherboard is despite my feminine hands! This is all on one side of the base, the other side only has space for the DVD drive and a small daughterboard (see above pic, a mSATA SSD can be fitted here on some boards) and thats it. Rest is just wasted space.

Dodgy thermal paste job.

All cleaned up! i7 3610QM in the background, AMD 7730M in the foreground.

New paste.

Handy guides for screwing order, at different steps these little arrows were visible or small numbers indicating the order the screws should be done in. I like, very helpful.

Motherboard installed, something missing though.

There.

At this point I realised how messy my deskspace was and how many components I've actually removed just to change the screen. Can't even access the cable for the monitor yet.

New screen!

Slightly blurred (because of all the excitement) but new screen fitted.

Cable comparison. Only physical difference is 'FHD' on one, 'HD' on the other.

Final result. No before pics unfortunately.

Overall, it wasn't too difficult fitting it. Took me about an hour including disassembling again just to wriggle the cable. Thoughts?
            Last edited by Sarky; 16-12-15, 22:02.

Comment

Awesome. I really like laptops tbh.....mines a very similar spec to yours
              Gaming PC:i5 2500k|MSI Mpower Z77 | Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB 1600MHZ | ThermalTake Frio | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III 2GB Crossfire | Samsung 840 PRO 250GB SSD | XFX Pro 850W Modular PSU | Corsair 600t Case

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                Awesome. I really like laptops tbh.....mines a very similar spec to yours
                Yeah same, only thing I don't like about mine now is its creaking a bit in places. But I take it to uni everyday so its doing alright so far!

Never noticed how similar specced they are.

Comment

Excellent. Well done

Comment

I'd love to upgrade my laptop to a 1080P screen. Hmmmm.... How on earth do I figure out if it is possible?

Nice job, Tom. It looks great.
                    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                      I'd love to upgrade my laptop to a 1080P screen. Hmmmm.... How on earth do I figure out if it is possible?

Nice job, Tom. It looks great.
                      Cheers mate!

It was fairly easy for me as the Inspiron 15 SE has a 1080p model in its lineup so the full hd cable is available as a part. The cable is the crucial part, it's easy enough finding a 1080p display but it won't work properly without the correct cable.

Your best starting point is probably Google, see if anyone else has done the same. If so then you know the cable exists it's just a matter of sourcing it.

Comment

Dell do make stripping and rebuilding their machines relatively easy. Other manufacturers seem to have been deliberately obstructive by comparison. Also Dell do make the service manuals generally available for download.
                        I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                        Dave Burnett

Comment

same laptop as mine , looks fun to take it apart, cold do with some nice new coollabs paste, and a i7 3610QM, im so game

cheers for the idea
                          Alienware m15x I Intel Core i7 720qm I 8gb Kingston DDR3 I AMD M6000 2gb (7870m) I Full 1080 I Intel 3160AC wifi

RIG I Zalman z3 I Evga 600b I Intel core i5 3570k@Stock I Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-b3 I 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Exceleram I Amd XFX R9 290 4gb@1000/1300 NZXT Kraken with corsair h55 AIO I 1tb Samsung spinpoint / 500gb Hitachi deskstar

Comment

Originally posted by stephen0205 View Post
                            same laptop as mine , looks fun to take it apart, cold do with some nice new coollabs paste, and a i7 3610QM, im so game

cheers for the idea
                            No worries, if you need a hand with part numbers, compatible parts etc just give me a shout.

Its easy to take apart, only bit I hated was the clips holding the palm rest on.

Does yours have a creaky area near the left speaker btw?

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                            Dell do make stripping and rebuilding their machines relatively easy. Other manufacturers seem to have been deliberately obstructive by comparison. Also Dell do make the service manuals generally available for download.
                            I looked at the service manual but ended up watching a YouTube how to video. Last few laptops I worked on were Toshiba and advent, awful machines to take apart and fix.

Comment

Hi Sarky, I stumbled on this old thread of yours whilst researching how to do exactly what you have already done.... i.e. upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520) to a full HD display. Exactly what I was looking for!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but can you remember the part number of the full HD cable you needed? I just want to make sure I get the correct one.

Also, I'm not seeing your pictures on here unfortunately - I'm not sure if that's just me doing something wrong.

I'm guessing you might not have them any more after all this time, but if there's any chance you could repost them, that would be fantastic

Much appreciated!
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X