Latop - Broadnabnd sharing help - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latop - Broadnabnd sharing help - Please

Seeing as all of you are knowlegeable on here and so helpfull!! i was wondering if you could help me out please

My gf has her own laptop with no modem and her parents have their own laptop with a internal broadband modem which they connect to the internet.

My gf would like to use her laptop to go on the internet, whats the best way to do this??? using routers???

Any help would be great thanks!!

Crossover cable, from one laptop network socket to the other (assuming they both have them)

Then internet connection sharing on the one with internet, and set the one without internet to use the IP of the one with internet as the gateway.

i think off the top off my head

Comment

This would need one ( the Parents ) two have two NICs + Wires are messy
      Need to know if it is ADSL or Cable
      Then get the appropriate Wireless Router and a couple of Wireless Adaptors
      Then Both laptops are free to roam teh house
      Actaully I think you can get ADSL/Cable Wireless routers, not sure off the top of my head

Comment

Re:

[quote:56fc1bb49d=\"Firerat\"]This would need one ( the Parents ) two have two NICs + Wires are messy
        Need to know if it is ADSL or Cable
        Then get the appropriate Wireless Router and a couple of Wireless Adaptors
        Then Both laptops are free to roam the house
        Actaully I think you can get ADSL/Cable Wireless routers, not sure off the top of my head[/quote:56fc1bb49d]

It would only have to have one network card, which is would have if it has a built in adsl modem and the modem to connect to the phone line.

Might not be the best way, but at under a pound its the cheapest

Comment

True, but how many laptops have built in xDSL or two NIC's

and freedom is good

Let us know laptop models, any extras, BB type etc

NB cheap option needs both laptops on at the same time
          or wired router and cables

more spec = > or < options

Comment

Hmm,
            DSL via USB = Spare NIC?

Comment

Id carry on argueing my point but even when you see what im talkin about im still wrong....

BUT i have the added bonus of being able to hang myself with wires

be screwed if it was wireless :twisted:

Comment

if they are both wireless or can be connected via ethernet and one will be connected to the internet all the time, this is the simplest way of doing it till you get a permanent solution: http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/down...work/proxy.htm

I used to use it to share my 56k connection in the days before adsl - worked a charm! But it doesnt beat a real router!

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

i dont understand why u need that program?!

is that just for people who dont know how to use windows....

Windows xp home can only do it to one other machine but pro can connection share to anybody on the network.

Comment

personally I'm wired
                    BUT I don't have a laptop, so I don't see any point in wireless for myself

but yaeah I see what you are saying
                    I feel that this is Cable instead of ADSL , as I'm not certain many Laptops have built in ADSL modems, if any

again, we need the spec of the Laptops, models and any current addon cards would help

but I would say Wireless is the way forwad

Comment

Right thanks guys bit confused here now lol

The mother's laptop which connects to the interent has wired adsl internet

Comment

i know windows can do it, but it can be fiddley.. that just makes it easy!

Originally posted by coiler
                        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Re:

[quote:9b6d643c0c=\"neath_jmj\"]Right thanks guys bit confused here now lol

The mother's laptop which connects to the interent has wired adsl internet[/quote:9b6d643c0c]

Hi Neath,
                          in order to help we still need more information about the laptops

For instance the Mothers Laptop

Does the Phone line plug into the Laptop direct or does it plug in via an external modem?
                          If so we need to know if it is plugged in via USB of RJ45 ( network cable )

We also need to know if Mothers Laptop is always going to be on and connected to the internet or specifically when your Girlfriend wants to access the internet

the more expensive ( and best IMHO ) solution would be
                          a wireless router
                          http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...bCat=NET-WGR54
                          and adaptors
                          http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...bCat=NET-WGA54

perhaps these

Netgear W/less Network Starter Kit DG834GUK ADSL Modem Router + WG111GE USB2 Network Adaptor
                          Netgear 54Mbps W'less USB2.0 Adpter
                          x1

cheap but will work if
                          The ADSL is direct into an internal modem, or is conected via an External Modem via USB ( or has USB option ) and/or it has a spare RJ45 socket on the Mothers Laptop
                          then you can use a crossover RJ45 cable
                          select length

If Modem and has USB option but no cable
                          http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=97[USB A to A Cable USB-1m[/url]
                          USB A to B Cable 3 meters

[url=http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20581]USB A to B Cable 5 meters]/url]

BUT to give you a better answer, as requested Please post
                          MODEL OF BOTH LAPTOPS
                          MODEL OF ANY EXTRAS , addon cards , external modems etc

with information this we can do the research for you, without it we are BLIND and will debate over our assumptions, and just confuse the situation

to reiterate
                          Please post details about the equipment you are asking help for,
                          without it we are BLIND nad will bump into each other

PS anyone any feedback on the Netgear + USB I highlighted?

Comment

Alot of the cheaper routers bomb out from time to time and are very annoying, same with the adapters, i have a belkin adapter which is about average, does go sometimes though.

I also had that router untill i got a live box, probably the most reliable and easy to use router out there, worth the extra money if you have it.

Comment

NB

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...Cat=NET-WGA108

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...Cat=NET-WGR108

might be more reliable in case of interference

Comment

Working...
                              X