cleaning laptop cpu and others parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning laptop cpu and others parts

hay guys just replaced my hd with a ssd and after i checked the temps i had seen it had shot up by 15c

so i have started a cleaning, but i am unsure on a few things

1 would i treat this like cleaning a desktop cpu or wold i have to be careful on the arctic remover

and when applying compound would i only add it to the two blocks?

2 would it be best to leave the green pads on?

3 should i worry about this stoot on the cdrom

last i touched somthing in the laptop and it made my finger feel odd, is there any chemicals i should worry about in the laptop?

or is it my paranoia

thanks for the help,

Odd that the temps shot up like that, are you certain you were not blocking the vents? Looks like way too much TIM on there. Give it a good clean and leave pads on or swap for new ones.
    My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post
      Odd that the temps shot up like that, are you certain you were not blocking the vents? Looks like way too much TIM on there. Give it a good clean and leave pads on or swap for new ones.
      thanks yes it is odd but with this dell inspiron you have to take the thing to bits just to get to the hd, so i could have nudged something.

with cleaning is it ok to use arcticlean on all of the top of the cpu or just the black block?

also am i right in saying i only have to apply compound to the black blocks on the cpu?

Comment

Looks like normal for laptop paste. Leave the pads on as they are needed for the chips they rest on. It might have shifted a little so it isn't pressing on the cpu like it was(?). They can be tricky at the best of times.

Comment

Yes cleaning is fine and yes, just on the metal.
          My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

was ide 24C

edit keeps shuting down?
            Last edited by hamster603; 26-10-12, 12:49.

Comment

got into core temp and it says 30c before shutdown...

Comment

see what GPU temps you're getting

I would cleat all the old tim from the GPU an CPU with articlean and cotton buds and from the back of the heatsink and reapply
                (leaving the green pads on)

Comment

could bent pins have anything to do with it on the cpu? i had some bent but put them back straight

Comment

The fans and stuff are all turning on ok? The fan should be going full blast if it is over heating and you would notice that on most laptops.

Comment

not gonig full blast for what i can gain, when it and added more compound, lasted about 120 seconds before shutdown.....

Comment

Which laptop? Reset CMOS and unplug/plug in fan again. Reminds me of the ZG5s that cut off after 60 seconds if the fan's RPM sensor wire wasn't in properly.

EDIT: What's the second part of the heatsink connected to? Put TIM on it if you haven't already done so.
                        Last edited by spleenharvester; 26-10-12, 15:53.
                        Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

right got it working but i could only get low 50 for gpu and after tying again msi ab is saying 60s

could this be afterburner misreading? as first i did pea then smear.... otherwise i could add a big blob of artic
                          Last edited by hamster603; 26-10-12, 23:41.

Comment

Arctic Silver by any chance?

If the temperatures are an issue, you can apply a pin mod to lower the voltage by 0.1v which will drastically reduce temperatures. Although you're already having issues with it staying on so you may have even more stability issues. Focus on getting this sorted first.
                            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

right taken it apart and this is what i have done.

what the laptop heat sink looks like,

graphics chip pic (too much compound?)

cpu

and the heatsink

can you see anything wrong? or is it ok too build?

Comment

Working...
                              X