Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-14" laptop under 400

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a laptop for uni as i go next year, i want to get in there before the impending doom of windows 8
    Requirements are as follows:
    11-14 inch display
    under 400 (preferably around 300 but depending on what it is then up to 450 is probably possible)
    needs to handle web browsing and doc writing as well as a bit of powerpoint so nothing intensive seen as i'm taking my desktop with me

I've been looking at:
    asus 1225b (though i can't seem to find it in many places anymore)
    Lenovo s206

Thank you for any responses they will be greatly appriciated
    NEUTRON: i5 3570k, Asus z77 m-itx board, 760 Windforce 2GB (rev 2.0), CM 550W PSU, CM Hyper 212+ Cooler...All squeezed into a modded white Bitfenix Prodigy
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook - i5 3317U, HD4000 Graphics, 32GB SSD mated with a 500GB HDD

Any brands you want to avoid?

Comment

I love my ASUS K53E. It's a solid laptop and it is extremely quick with a Crucial M4 in it. From being completely off to being in Windows takes a shade over 14 seconds. Granted I don't have a tonne of programs installed and they are turned off in msconfig.exe but it doesn't get much slower if I turn them on. I just like the fast boots and the extra couple of seconds are nice as I am one impatient lad.

I know that this is a 15.6" laptop but I would thoroughly recommend ASUS laptops. Quality products and a fairly good price too. It's a shame that my laptop is anywhere from 80 to 130 more expensive here than what I paid in the US otherwise I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. It only set me back 380 with the SSD and an external exclosure (USB 3.0) for the HDD that came out of it.
      ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Just so you know, Acer actually make some nice laptops (most say they are abit shoddy, but I've owned a 5755G and it was fab), I know the 5755G is abit too big being 15.6", but worth considering. Mine had an i5, 630M, 500GB, 4GB DDR3 and some other dilly dally.

Comment

i was planning to avoid acer, always been an asus fan when it comes to motherboards and lenovo make some very good laptops so asus and lenovo preferably though i'm open to other suggestions (sony etc.)

Added after 2 minutes:

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
          I love my ASUS K53E. It's a solid laptop and it is extremely quick with a Crucial M4 in it. From being completely off to being in Windows takes a shade over 14 seconds. Granted I don't have a tonne of programs installed and they are turned off in msconfig.exe but it doesn't get much slower if I turn them on. I just like the fast boots and the extra couple of seconds are nice as I am one impatient lad.

I know that this is a 15.6" laptop but I would thoroughly recommend ASUS laptops. Quality products and a fairly good price too. It's a shame that my laptop is anywhere from 80 to 130 more expensive here than what I paid in the US otherwise I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. It only set me back 380 with the SSD and an external exclosure (USB 3.0) for the HDD that came out of it.
          that sounds like a fairly impressive find! I just find that 15 inch laptops are rather bulky and i just want this to be able to move around lots and take it with me anywhaere without really adding to luggage.
          Last edited by Hails13; 23-10-12, 09:20.
          NEUTRON: i5 3570k, Asus z77 m-itx board, 760 Windforce 2GB (rev 2.0), CM 550W PSU, CM Hyper 212+ Cooler...All squeezed into a modded white Bitfenix Prodigy
          Laptop: Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook - i5 3317U, HD4000 Graphics, 32GB SSD mated with a 500GB HDD

Comment

Well, in that case... I recommend ASUS laptops for their quality.
            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by PinkDefault View Post
              Just so you know, Acer actually make some nice laptops (most say they are abit shoddy, but I've owned a 5755G and it was fab), I know the 5755G is abit too big being 15.6", but worth considering. Mine had an i5, 630M, 500GB, 4GB DDR3 and some other dilly dally.
              Out of curiousity, do you still have it? Any photos of it?

Whats the build quality like? Thinking of either that (i7, GT630) or an Asus N55SL but the Acer has better specs, Asus better build quality and features (yet i5, GT635)

@OP I took a laptop and desktop with me to uni last year, as of now (second year) I'm thinking of selling both and getting a decent laptop.
              Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
              Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
              i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
                Out of curiousity, do you still have it? Any photos of it?

Whats the build quality like? Thinking of either that (i7, GT630) or an Asus N55SL but the Acer has better specs, Asus better build quality and features (yet i5, GT635)

@OP I took a laptop and desktop with me to uni last year, as of now (second year) I'm thinking of selling both and getting a decent laptop.
                I actually sold it on the bay not too long ago.
                Build quality was quite decent, no real flex on the plastic when moved around. My i5 was pretty good aswell, and the 630M let me play games (Such as sleeping dogs), on low-medium settings. Stuck a 120GB Mushkin SSD in there too, and it was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkDefault View Post
                  I actually sold it on the bay not too long ago.
                  Build quality was quite decent, no real flex on the plastic when moved around. My i5 was pretty good aswell, and the 630M let me play games (Such as sleeping dogs), on low-medium settings. Stuck a 120GB Mushkin SSD in there too, and it was amazing.
                  Ah shame, how come you sold it on? How long did you have it and what was the battery life like?

Sorry for thread jacking haha.
                  Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                  Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                  i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
                    Ah shame, how come you sold it on? How long did you have it and what was the battery life like?

Sorry for thread jacking haha.
                    I sold it so I could build a PC instead. Funny, because I actually went from a PC (3570K, 7850) to a the 5755G, and now back to a PC of slightly the same spec. Main reason is because I just prefer PC's, don't like sitting on the couch or sitting in bed with the laptop, feel's odd. And didn't like putting the laptop on my office table because then the keyboard was too high and screen being too small (downgraded from 27-inch Hanns-G to the 15.6-inch on the laptop), so personal preference really.
                    Battery life wasn't too bad. I found if I don't have the brightness on full, It'll last around 4 hours on full charge just web-browsing.

Comment

I would avoid acer like the plague. When i spend 1000 buying the top of the range laptop, for it to spend 6 months straight being RMAd because they took 3 consecutive 2 month periods to repair something (they damaged something else whilst doing the previous one twice), and then for the graphic card to blow (most common cause of death for that model) because they positioned the screws along the main stress points for the chassis causing microfractures.....i will never go back to them. Other friends have had broken hinges (x2) and another's just blew after 2 years. Acer's laptops are great value, but do not expect them to last too long outside warranty.

Asus laptops on the other hand are known for their durability. I know its a different class but I have the UX31 and its lovely and well built

Comment

Originally posted by Traldera View Post
                        I would avoid acer like the plague. When i spend 1000 buying the top of the range laptop, for it to spend 6 months straight being RMAd because they took 3 consecutive 2 month periods to repair something (they damaged something else whilst doing the previous one twice), and then for the graphic card to blow (most common cause of death for that model) because they positioned the screws along the main stress points for the chassis causing microfractures.....i will never go back to them. Other friends have had broken hinges (x2) and another's just blew after 2 years. Acer's laptops are great value, but do not expect them to last too long outside warranty.

Asus laptops on the other hand are known for their durability. I know its a different class but I have the UX31 and its lovely and well built
                        i've heard similar stories about acer
                        a UX31 would be nice too but there is no way i can justify spending that much for what i need and i would really struggle to find the cash too.

Comment

went a little over in the end for a dell refurbished inspiron 14z ultrabook 424.48 with free shipping and an i5 3317U

Comment

Originally posted by Hails13 View Post
                            went a little over in the end for a dell refurbished inspiron 14z ultrabook 424.48 with free shipping and an i5 3317U
                            With SSD goodness?

Comment

32gb msata but i've got the 500gb 5400rpm hdd for storage
                              though there are always upgrades the extra 2gb of ram is probably first on the list

Comment

Working...
                              X