Gaming laptop 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming laptop 800

As above really got a mate looking to buy a gaming laptop for uni and he's looking to spend about 800, any tips on what to get? Cheers
    Originally posted by jointhedotz
    I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

mine in my sig was just about 670 4 months ago, without the SSD.

you can get the newer optimus III for around 800 with an ivy i7, 8gm ram, 750gb hdd and gt650m gpu, 17.3" 1080p too.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

It *might* be worth waiting for windows 8 to roll around (not for the OS) as the manufacturers might usher out some newer models to accommodate the launch.

OTOH, for 800 you could probably avoid the full on-gamer appraoch and try and nab yourself an Ultrabook with dedicated graphics.

Comment

newer models of what? kepler and ivy literally just got here in laptops?

i thought win8 was still a few months away?

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
          newer models of what? kepler and ivy literally just got here in laptops?

i thought win8 was still a few months away?
          As with all stuff they usually take a while to filter through properly and there is always a 'back to school push' from outlets and manufacturers. Win8 is scheduled for October, which is when Uni starts properly.

Comment

He is mainly after playing mmos, cant really seem to find a proper review for that GT 650m but it looks like it should be able to do the job.

Comment

is better than a gtx560m and the gtx480m.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Looking at an Optimus 3 with and i7 3610 and a gt650m, sounds reasonably good so long as it will play wow smoothly hes not overly bothered

Comment

plays wow at 90fps on high.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.71887.0.html

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
                    mine in my sig was just about 670 4 months ago, without the SSD.

you can get the newer optimus III for around 800 with an ivy i7, 8gm ram, 750gb hdd and gt650m gpu, 17.3" 1080p too.
                    Where is this new laptop? Very interested for a friend xD

Comment

I realise people have space issues and the ability to take said pc home and such, but damn, you could get a nice desktop for 800.
                      Monitor: Dell U2711, GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 670, CPU: i7 920 , MB: Asus P6T, RAM: 12gb Corsair XMS3, PSU: Corsair HX750, OS DISK: Crucial M4 128GB, Storage: 2 x Samsung F1 1tb, 1 x Samsung F3 1tb 1x Samsung F4 2tb, Case : CM 690 II
                      Photographic Gear: Nikon D700, 16-35 F4 VR, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR II, 35 F2D, 50 1.8D, 85 1.8D

Comment

Originally posted by Traldera View Post
                        Where is this new laptop? Very interested for a friend xD
                        Forum rules mate unfortunately but google is your friend

Originally posted by gregtherotter View Post
                        I realise people have space issues and the ability to take said pc home and such, but damn, you could get a nice desktop for 800.
                        Yeah I tried to talk him into an mATX build which would be so much better for gaming but he needs a laptop apparently

Comment

Yeah if you arent a serious serious gamer then laptops are fine, that spec will play anything really, i can play most games at 1600 x 900 on medium and that GPU is 30% better than mine in fps, CPU is around 10 - 15% better as well.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Mini ITX!! Show him some small builds and see if it sways him lol. I went down that route purely for upgrades, can't do that with laptops so if he doesn't plan on upgrading, might be worth going for that.

Also the website El Wayneo suggested is awesome, great value for money. Warranty isn't bad either.
                            Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                            Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                            i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

I looked on google i cant find it - can i have the model number please, thats not against the rules

Comment

Working...
                              X