Need a new laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new laptop

Got home this dinner to find a lead in the dog basket, and on closer inspection it was the lead from the transformer to the jack plug of my ageing Advent laptop.

I've decided that I'm not buying another charger - the battery lasts about 10 minutes, the fan spins up a lot, its a 1.5ghz Core 2 Duo so very slow compared to the i5 I just sold.

I'm looking for something i3/i5 based, 6gb ram, 15" screen or so - any tips/pointers?

Without knowing budget or what it is to be used for I choose the Macbook pro.

Comment

not sure - 600?

Are laptops using Ivy yet?? What i5 should I be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by alexnifty View Post
        Without knowing budget or what it is to be used for I choose the Macbook pro.
        Why would you ever choose that?

Umm have a look at the Asus notebooks if you want something fancy for about 700, the N55 i beleive its called, good graphics and bang and olufsen speaker with wireless subwoofer included. Good little piece of tech.

If you want something less fancy just look on the clearance sections of websites for something

And Ivy is in laptops yes but only the premium ones at the moment, its yet to trickle down unless you order custom like dell, but those are overpriced and crap

Comment

For 570 you can get an acer aspire 5755G

15.6" Core i7 2670m (i have same CPU) 6gb RAM, 750GB HDD, 2GB GT540m graphics.

Or you can get a core i5 model with 1gb gt630m for 499

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by Traldera View Post
            Why would you ever choose that?
            I was illustrating that we didn't have enough info to go on and that more detail was needed

What's the laptop's main use? If it is just web browsing and youtube then you don't need to spend anything like 700.

Comment

light gaming, bit of photoshop, probably will use it daily if I go back to work with my dad, though the more I spend on a laptop now, the less I will have for building a new pc in the winter.

What I don't want to do is buy a 'last years model' i5.

Comment

try and get a ivy core i5 then as it has the HD4000 GPU on it but you'll pay a hefty price as they are brand new.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

So Ivy i5 are out there... What model number am I looking for?

Comment

Working...
                  X