Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding up my Laptop

Hi all,

So I have had my laptop for just over 2 years now, a Sony Vaio CW1S1E with spec's:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M (512MB)
    HDD: 320GB

I've been fortunate not to have any problems with the laptop, but this also means I've never re-installed Windows (I'm also abit forgetful when it comes to de-fragmenting...). So the hard drive is full of countless programs and games that I rarely use, and it has gradually slowed down to the point where it takes a good 10 minutes to run smoothly after booting. It also has trouble running CS:S nowadays, when it used to handle Crysis on medium settings!

Anyway, I'm wondering if a simple re-install will help get it back to normal? But there are a few problems:

. Will I be able to re-use my Windows OEM install? (There is a "Product Code" on a label on the bottom of the laptop)
    . Will I be able to find compatible video card drivers? (I've never been able to upgrade my drivers as the installer doesn't recognise the card, something to do with Sony I believe, can't find working drivers on their site either!)

After the re-install I'll mostly be using it for Web Browsing, Word, Excel etc. Ideally I'd like it to handle a bit of light gaming (CS:S mainly), for when my girlfriend has stole my PC to play the Sims...

I'm also wondering if it's worth getting a 120GB SSD, since the laptop only has SATA2? (I presume.)
    If so, would a SanDisk Extreme or Mushkin Chronos be better?

Thanks,

Josh
    i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Fresh install would help. SSD would make a massive improvement. I'd go for the Mushkin I have the 120GB its the dogs dodas.

Comment

Originally posted by JustJoe View Post
      Fresh install would help. SSD would make a massive improvement. I'd go for the Mushkin I have the 120GB its the dogs dodas.
      Yeah I have a Chronos in my PC I wasn't sure if they were still as fast in SATA2, but I guess it's still miles better than a HDD.
      i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Yeah even on SATA2 they will out perform a Mechanical drive any day.

Comment

Without spending a penny, the obvious option is to give it a spring clean.

Format and reinstall windows and start from scratch (make sure you have a drivers disc before doing this) or if your reluctant to format, remove any unwanted or unused programmes, use ccleaner to scan your registry and clear anything thats using space for no reason then give it a thorough defragging. After that install the latest drivers and enjoy a bit of a boost in performance
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by Bigian88 View Post

Format and reinstall windows and start from scratch (make sure you have a drivers disc before doing this) or if your reluctant to format, remove any unwanted or unused programmes, use ccleaner to scan your registry and clear anything thats using space for no reason then give it a thorough defragging. After that install the latest drivers and enjoy a bit of a boost in performance
            Yeah I don't mind formatting, it's just I'm worried I won't be able to find any graphics drivers that work.

Comment

Visit the manufacturers website and download all of the drivers from there, once its back up and running windows update and the software provided with the drivers (gpu for example) will make updating them a doddle
              i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Another free method you could try (whilst you're reinstalling actually) is short stroking the hard drive, there's a guide here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-hdd,2157.html

Basically what I did with my laptop is setup two partitions using Easeus partition manager, one on the inner tracks of the drive, another on the other. Meant that the OS was installed on the fastest part of the hard drive and data that didn't really need quicker access on the outer tracks. Spead up my laptop a fair bit, it was noticeable.
                Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

if it had windows pre-installed when you got it restore from the recovery partition

on sonys its normally f10 on boot to start the recovery program (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST BACKUP FIRST)

(recovery partition restore will format and reinstall the OS with all its drivers like a brand new all you do then is run windows update)

SSD would be the best upgrade you could make

Originally posted by JustJoe View Post
                  Yeah even on SATA2 they will out perform a Mechanical drive any day.
                  even a SSD on Sata 1 does.
                  Last edited by Sniperdude; 12-05-12, 18:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigian88 View Post
                    Seriously, do try this wise advice as a first move.

If you still find the thing is slow after the housekeeping, then consider a reinstall. If possible, create an image of your existing drive before you do this, just in case the sky falls in.

Think twice about changing disk drives, which is not easy in a laptop and could break the bank. You already have a 320GB drive. How full is it? Will 120GB be enough? Or is your laptop one of those big buggers with room for an extra drive? My Vaio isn't.
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input!

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                      Seriously, do try this wise advice as a first move.

If you still find the thing is slow after the housekeeping, then consider a reinstall. If possible, create an image of your existing drive before you do this, just in case the sky falls in.

Think twice about changing disk drives, which is not easy in a laptop and could break the bank. You already have a 320GB drive. How full is it? Will 120GB be enough? Or is your laptop one of those big buggers with room for an extra drive? My Vaio isn't.
                      I have about 90GB left, but that is soley because I used to use it for gaming and so there are lots of games installed that I never use I'm sure 120GB would be fine for documents, a few programs and 1 or 2 games. I don't have a huge library of music and any videos I have are stored on my PC anyway.

The Vaio is quite small (14" screen), so I doubt it has room for a second drive I would have thought that changing the HDD would be easy provided I could get the drivers/OS to work? (I've built a couple of PC's so I'm used to tinkering with desktops). There is a 2.5" drive shaped piece of plastic on the bottom so I'm guessing it's under there..

Comment

Originally posted by Joshimitsu91 View Post
                        There is a 2.5" drive shaped piece of plastic on the bottom so I'm guessing it's under there..
                        I was wrong! Lol, it was the RAM Anyway, I took off the other panel and found the HDD, mounted with four screws to a bracket which is mounted by four screws to the chassis (two of them through the plastic cover panel). I've encountered a problem (I think), one of the chassis screws will not come out It just turns and turns either way! Is there something I'm missing?

Comment

try lifting the screw with something as you unscrew it

Comment

or putting a small flat head under the edge of it so it gets a grip

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
                            i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
                            Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

Thanks I will try it out

Comment

Working...
                              X