Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FREE LAPTOP... SPECS ANY GOOD

Hi guys
    i was given a laptop ( toshiba sattelite P200-17c) for spare parts.. the previous owner stated he had sent it for repair but the so called technician said it was doa....... so before i took it to bits i thought i would try replacing the cmos battery .and cleaning the vents ect..... i then installed windows xp from usb and received a message the hard drive was corrupt ... so i replaced the 80gb sata HDD(2.5") with a spare 160gb drive i had and for good measure i also replaced the dvdrw dl drive with another newer model...
    i then used a windows 7 oem disk and it installed without any problems and the laptop works fine...so the so called pc repair technician was not doing his job properly or totally missed the corrupt hard drive.... anyway i know have a laptop thats cost me nothing and has some acceptable specs ... they are
    core 2 duo T5450 1.66ghz
    2gb ddr2 ram
    17" widescreen display ( 1440x900 )
    160gb sata II HDD
    dvdrw dual layer multidrive
    mobility radeon HD2400
    8 x usb2.0 ( i was pretty impressed with this )
    1 × external monitor
    1 × RJ-11
    1 × RJ-45
    1 × 6-in-1 Bridge Media slot (supports SD™ Card, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro™, MultiMedia Card™, xD-Picture Card™, SD™ IO)
    1 x HDMI
    1 × integrated 1.3 Megapixel Video Camera
    1 × S/PDIF-out (optical)
    1 × ExpressCard slot

obviously these specs are not the latest however considering the notebook cost me nothing i think its pretty good ... what do you guys think
    also would a ssd upgrade be worth doing ... im buying 2 x 2gb ddr2 sodimms next week to max out the ram... however would a ssd be compatible ?

any feedback will be appreciated

cheers
    Intel core i5 3330 3.0ghz,8GB XMS3 1333MHZ (2 X 4GB),MSI R9 270x,128gb SSD (boot) + 1tb wd sata ,msi z77a-g41 mobo,asus xonar dgx ,520w seasonic psu,aerocool xpredator x1 devil red chassis

SSD would be compatible, most people who have been getting them have been looking at a replacement anyway(which your past if the spare is ok). If you don't need the extra speed I wouldn't worry. Another plus to them in laptops is the lack of moving parts so you won't go knocking it while it is spinning and whatever as many laptop hdds do/did/have.

Comment

I have an older portege which I use as a notebook and it's brilliant! So this should be superb. A SSD with SATA 2 isn't exactly brilliant but it's worth having a look at prices and it should work with it but I don't see a huge point in it.

Comment

Nev, why is an SSD on SATA 2 not brilliant? Even limited to SATA 1 speeds, it would destroy any SATA 2/3 HDD out there.

The SSD would be compatible with the system, yes.
        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I wish this had been offered to me i need a 17inch toshiba screen as my back light has just failed on mine lol. I run my desktop ssd off sata 2 and its better than any one of my mech hard drives.
          Back up and running fully

Comment

It's free mate enjoy.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Am using my M4 on a sata II port and its still a hell of a lot quicker

Considered one for my laptop but I really can't justify the price for a decent sized one.
              Originally posted by andyn
              Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
              PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
              Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

thanks guys... before i start i must congratulate you guys.... ive been on many forums however this forums gets the most positive and well constucted replys ... other forums especially amd forums you get stupid and patronising replys and generally you get nowhere ... so thanks for all your excellent replys
                anyway i have to agree with TheMadDutchDude .... a ssd at sata II speeds or even I speeds would be significantly faster than any mechanical drive ... and since its gonna be used for web browsing and photo editing ( maybe some older games ) a 60gb ssd should do the job... probally go for the
                OCZ Petrol 64GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive

sorry urko..... the same thing happened to me... my mate got a acer 3680 notebook from a boot sale for £10... and i needed a inverter for my acer 3680.... however he managed to get the thing working and kept it ........ look on ebay for toshiba replacement screens... or even better try gumtree... loads of great offers on there.... if the notebook is bought as faulty for spares you can get them for around £20

thanks guys
                Intel core i5 3330 3.0ghz,8GB XMS3 1333MHZ (2 X 4GB),MSI R9 270x,128gb SSD (boot) + 1tb wd sata ,msi z77a-g41 mobo,asus xonar dgx ,520w seasonic psu,aerocool xpredator x1 devil red chassis

Comment

Yeah been looking on ebay screens about 70quid at the moment. Never thought of gum tree will keep an eye out cheers.
                  Back up and running fully

Comment

The techy most likely told the customer that the laptop would cost X amount to fix (probably really high, like labour (£50) plus parts at inflated costs), or even told him it is BER.

That, or he just cba and is a crap techy.
                    Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                      Nev, why is an SSD on SATA 2 not brilliant? Even limited to SATA 1 speeds, it would destroy any SATA 2/3 HDD out there.

I won a 120GB force 3 SSD on the forum stuck it in my GF's SATA I laptop the difference was unbelievable
                      scores 7.4 on the windows index an it's really snappy.

AHCI is meant to be the fastest but not on her laptop it isn't, I was seeing about 130MB reads on AHCI and 200+ on ATA
                      TRIM works on ATA for force 3 so shes getting 200+ reads from a SATA I controller.
                      Last edited by Sniperdude; 10-05-12, 01:34.

Comment

How can she get 200+MBps reads on a 150MBps max bus?
                        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

don't ask me here is some other guys with the same laptop

http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19300004.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post

My point was you don't exactly get the full potential of the SSD, if you bought something like an m4. but the ocz petrol has lower r/w speeds so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Why buy a slower drive just because it is a slower bus, though? Apart from that. Read/writes aren't always the most important. Especially as the OP is limited to SATA 3Gbps anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X