Laptop screen not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop screen not working

I've got a Sony Vaio and after a couple of years of use the screen's gone. When I say gone, you can just about make out the desktop on it, but only the very bright bits show, and they're very dim.

So it's like the brightness is right down. I've done a little searching on the 'net and it looks possible that's it's something like the inverter. If so, it means it's something that's repairable, and as it's still a decent laptop I'd like to get it working.

So my question is - do you know of any decent places in the Manchester area that repair laptops?

If aria dont do it, look at some of the adverts in Computeractive, they have no fix no fee policies, otherwise see about sony, they are a very good company and should have some repair facility.

Comment

Re:

[quote:fea35ceb43=\"blaineoliver\"]If aria dont do it, look at some of the adverts in Computeractive, they have no fix no fee policies, otherwise see about sony, they are a very good company and should have some repair facility.[/quote:fea35ceb43]

my brother works for sony, they are a nightmare to get somethin fixed, they come up with every excuse in the book not to do it.
      Current Setup
      --------------------

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.2ghz
      2GB Elixir PC6400 DDR2 Dual Channel
      Asus Gforce 512mb Silent GFX
      250GB Seagate SATA HD

Comment

Re:

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I'm still using the laptop, just connected to another monitor which isn't ideal. I don't want to get it fixed immediately, as I want to get a new PC soon and want to make sure that I have that up and running with all my programs and data set up before I do anything potentially risky with the current computer.

It does seem like it's something that happens to laptops regularly and there are places that fix them, but on my first look I didn't find any around Manchester so I wondered if anyone knew of a place as there's bound to be a few.

If you're at all interested, here's a page I found detailing how to fix it:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_8.htm

Not something I want to try myself, but means that it ought to be quite simple for somebody experienced to do.

Comment

Send it to Sony - Gonna cost more than the Laptop probably.

Use http://maps.google.co.uk/maps to find a local business.

BE CONFIDENT, DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Comment

I've lost count of the times I've had to take my laptop to bits to resolder something on the bottom of the motherboard...! Its more fiddly than a desktop PC, but if you are careful, fairly familiar with PCs and make a note of where everything connects to, its definately doable..

Also worth taking the opportunity to put some AS5 on the CPU while its open!

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Take pictures as you take it apart

But you know what , PC Clinc might be able to help out

[quote:1690c88648=\"http://www.aria.co.uk/PCClinic.asp\"]
                Repairs
                Our experienced technicians can find any problem within the base unit and can replace any parts as necessary. We can also carry out repairs to laptop computers. [/quote:1690c88648]

Comment

Working...
                X