How do i get wireless broadband on my laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i get wireless broadband on my laptop

Right i have a laptop and now i want to put wireless broadband on my laptop, how do i go about this??? any info on products would be great thank you!

Has the Laptop built in Wireless Lan?

Which Router do you have?
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Its a dell inspiron 1525, it has a Integrated 10/100 LAN (RJ45) and 56K Modem (RJ11)

Comment

could you provide the dell tag number?

The reason for asking is that the model you have can have any one of 2 different wlan cards installed
        I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

Assuming you're running under windows

Go to start->run

Type services.msc. Check that "WLAN autoconfig" (Vista) or "Wireless zero service" (XP) are enabled and automatic.

Once that's on you should have a lan-style icon (Just a normal network connection on Vista, a single computer with some "signal" lines on XP). Just right click on it and choose "Connect to a network" (Vista) or whatever the option is in XP (It'll be fairly obvious)

Then just enter the SSID and key for your router and Bob's your mother's brother.
          Jon
          AMD Phenom II 720BE 2.8gHz @ 3.6gHz | TRUE & Noctua 120mm
          Biostar ta790gx3 a2+ | 4gb Kingston HyperX PC2-8500
          Asus geForce GTX460 768mb - 22" LED monitor @ 1920x1080
          Samsung 850 250 GB SSD | Antec 300 | OCZ modXstream 500W

Comment

He may need to enable it first via the function keys, (why i asked for the tag, to find out which card is installed)

He may have to enable the Wireless Access point on his router, plus may have to add mac address to the ACL.

He should also set up security, at least wpa.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
              could you provide the dell tag number?

The reason for asking is that the model you have can have any one of 2 different wlan cards installed
              Ummmm right ok where do i find this from?

Comment

Should be a sticker on the bottom, they used to end in a J

Comment

the service tag is bxpyf3j

Comment

Ok, thank you, you have the DELL WIRELESS 1390 802.11B/G MINI-PCI CA fitted as standard.

Let us know when you have it on, you can check device manager to see if it's on before you start.

You may need to turn this on, there should be a symbol on the keyboard with a FN toggle to turn it on and off.

Comment

Right its on i believe

Comment

Ok do you have a wireless access point or a wireless router?

Comment

well i did have a router but its not compatable with vista! cud u recommend one for me?

Comment

what make model is it?

Routers are normally OS independant.

Comment

Working...
                            X