eMachines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eMachines

Just wanted to gather some opinions on eMachines as a brand. Thinking of buying a cheap £169 netbook from Amazon made by them. The spec is decent and on par with Samsung and Asus £220 netbooks.

I have seen a few about, laptops and the like, and to me they actually seemed pretty cool. They looked subtly branded, seemed not too common (which I personally like), and didn't at all give the impression they were cheap (as I hadnt really looked them up before).

So anyone had one? Or currently got one? Not just a laptop or netbook, but desktops as well. Just want to get some idea of build quality.

Here's a link to the e350 on Amazon:

edit: and I just saw the 'there is a newer version of this product available' - the e355 - 250gb drive, half the weight, same spec otherwise bar the n455 processor, for... £169.99!)

29 customer reviews, the only bad one refers to the operating system. The 3 star ones are, however, referring somewhat to the customer service (or lack of) from emachines. This worries me a little. For example if you visit their website and look for netbooks, firstly, on the UK site they are not even listed as a section. Secondly, the US site lists them, but shows a blank page...

So yes, opinions? £169.99 seems a good deal for a standard specced netbook now. Especially with an OS. Look at the Asus ones with the exact same spec, they are £220!
    Last edited by Faz; 02-10-11, 18:00. Reason: removed links as I will get violated for posting them :O

Main: Crucial C300 64GB | Phenom II 965 @ 4.0 | 8GB | MSI HD6870 | M4A89GTD USB3 | Xonar DS | VE278Q
    Secondary: Fractal Core 1000 | x2 250 | GTX460 | 2GB | 760GM |
    Server:
    Server 2008 R2 | E6750 | 2GB | 1.5tb
    Bikes: Zesty 314 2012 | Latitude 853 | Tarmac Elite 2012

They're cheap for a reason.

If you thought Acer's felt cheap and plasticy, eMachines are Acer's brand of cheaper and even more plastic computers.

I tend to avoid them like the plague myself.

Comment

Hmm I guess that would be true, got to be something down on build quality. However I don't really see how it could be more plasticy than Acers? Are they not the most plasticy around??

How many emachines have you had then?

Main: Crucial C300 64GB | Phenom II 965 @ 4.0 | 8GB | MSI HD6870 | M4A89GTD USB3 | Xonar DS | VE278Q
      Server:

Comment

Originally posted by Faz View Post
        Hmm I guess that would be true, got to be something down on build quality. However I don't really see how it could be more plasticy than Acers? Are they not the most plasticy around??

How many emachines have you had then?
        I've not owned one, I don't want to.

I've seen people with them before - they looked pretty flimsy.

Comment

Interesting. Used? or just seen?

I'd love to get my hands on one, wonder if any shops sell them.. pc world etc.

Server:

Comment

Interesting. Used? or just seen?

I'd love to get my hands on one, wonder if any shops sell them.. pc world etc.
            Yep
            Pentium G620T | ASUS P8H61-I | 4GB Patriot 1333Mhz | 64GB Cruical M4 | Antec ISK300-150

Comment

Nothing wrong Acer's tbh, i've had a couple and have one now.

As long as you get a decent warranty with it then i wouldn't really worry.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

My wife had an emachine lappy for about two and a half years with no problems at all, but then she killed it spilling a vodka and lemonade all over it.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivz69 View Post
                  My wife had an emachine lappy for about two and a half years with no problems at all, but then she killed it spilling a vodka and lemonade all over it.
                  Should have got a Lenovo with spill resistant keyboard.

(My god I'm turning into Pancake/Seanbond)

Comment

Im working just down the road from PC world tomorrow. It'll be a struggle, but I may force myself to walk in there and have a play with one. It's a big one, too, should be there.

Gotta be the best way to have a look.

ooh and just realised it's a 3 cell, probably why it's so cheap. 4 hours of battery vs 10 hours.

Not sure now

Server:

Comment

Went into PC World (lol) today to have a gander, just to see what felt good to use.

Gotta say, the emachines WAS plasticy. Pretty flimsy, and I don't particularly like light things as they just seem cheaper.
                      The best they had out in terms of what felt best were the Eee's by far. The eee1015px , 10.5 hours battery, ok so £90 more than emachines but such better quality.

Funny, too, that Amazon have it for £246. So I can go into pc world, price match that, and then they will knock 15% off for price matching. So PC world is cheapest? lolwut...

Server:

Comment

Personally I'd pay more and get it from Amazon. I'm in the process of getting them to replace a faulty plug for my netbook (the one you mentioned - 1015PX) and PCW just will not listen to or comply with their obligations. It's now got to the stage where MasterCard are getting involved. For a plug. Which probably costs them about £5...

And if you ever use their phone aftercare James is a pain in the neck. He phones up at 7-15 then says that he has to leave.

Fortunately, I don't think I'll have to sign an NDA, so unless PCW make a very big donation to a charity of my choice then you might find googling PCW comes up with a complaints site
                        PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.
                        Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 - IntelCore i5 2520M @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM

Comment

my Girlgriend has a E-Machine laptop - and tbh its a decent build - do you lot throw your laptops off buildings or do you use them?
                          Originally posted by omega
                          He's trying to lick the inside of his brain though, doesn't that count for something??

|EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper SLI|Intel Core i7 5820K |Gigabyte X99-UD4P|8GB 2133Mhz Hyper X Fury DDR4|2x 120GB Samsung 850 Evo Raid0|3.0TB WD Green|Corsair 650W|LG 29UB65-P|
                          All bundled in a Enthoo Primo under Water.

Comment

Funny, too, that Amazon have it for £246. So I can go into pc world, price match that, and then they will knock 15% off for price matching. So PC world is cheapest? lolwut...
                            I didnt think PC World price checked online shops?

Edit - nope seems they have changed - however their webpage about it lists 5 places after they put 'we'll beat', so maybe they will only price match those 5 websites and amazon isnt one of them.
                            Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

Working...
                            X