Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop screen crack

morning guys,
    I used to have my desktop for work and an old Acer for out in the field. However, I opened the screen and there was almost a marble type effect covering the whole screen inside the liquid..i was hoping to get some money from computer exchange for it but I can't get into it and remove all the user data. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,
    Marc

FX 8320 / SAPPHIRE 7950 VAPOR-X / Gigagbyte 990FX GD55 mobo / 8GB DRR3 G skill Ares / Antec Three-Hundred / ACP 7 cooler / 22" Asus monitor / 1x 320GB Seagate HDD / 1x 500GB Seagate HDD / 1x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD

Take the HDD out and either put it in a caddy to access it of if its sata you can hook it up to your pc and do it that way.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Does it have a VGA output to an external monitor?

Comment

Ahh ok, good thinking. But what of the cookies and form completion things that chrome remembers? Is it all just dumped on the hdd?

Alex, yes it does but I wouldn't be able to see on the primary screen to make the external one the new primary? Or would it do that itself?

Thanks for the fast reply guys!
        Marc

FX 8320 / SAPPHIRE 7950 VAPOR-X / Gigagbyte 990FX GD55 mobo / 8GB DRR3 G skill Ares / Antec Three-Hundred / ACP 7 cooler / 22" Asus monitor / 1x 320GB Seagate HDD / 1x 500GB Seagate HDD / 1x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD

Comment

Normally there is a button on the keyboard (a Function key) that allows you to switch the video output.
          Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

As flash says usually there is a function key near Ctrl and one of the F keys will have a picture of a screen on it.

All the cookies and form completion stuff will be on the HDD. Couldn't go anywhere else

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! Will pick up a VGA cable to make sure and transfer it all over when I remove hdd
              Very much appreciated!

Marc

Comment

You'll want to run killdisk on it after you do that as well.

I've bought HDD from CEx in the past which had everything deleted but still recoverable.

Comment

Make sure you use software that sets 0 on the drive to truly blank the drive, as has already been said that you should try using the VGA output on the side.
                  Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition CPU Cooler: Akasa AK-CCX-4002HP Venom Graphics: PowerColor Radeon 6850 1024MB Motherboard: Asus M4A88T-M Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive PSU: Corsair TX650 Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition RAM: G.skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Display: AOC 917Sw 19"

Comment

Hey guys, I have decided to trade in the laptop so I am going to keep the laptop drive as a boot for windows(??)
                    Is it possible just to connect the SATA orange cables in my computer already to it and bobs your uncle?
                    Its a: Hitachi 5V 700mA DC 80GB SATA HDD
                    it has one 'long' L shaped connector and one 'short' L shaped connector (sorry about that)

Comment

It will work fine as far as the connectors go, but I wouldnt expect to be able to just put it in a desktop computer and run windows again with no problems. I would expect a reinstall of windows to be needed to run with zero issues - not always if you're VERY lucky, but 99% of the time.

Originally posted by coiler
                      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

cheers for the information..the laptop was running XP and desktop is vista 64bit. it will just have to be a storage drive then i guess. I will have to read up on re-installing windows before i commit.

ps. Aaron is your avatar supposed to move? Or am I that fatigued/slightly poisoned by food on the weekend??

Comment

I think its the effects of the weekend....

Originally posted by coiler
                          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
                          X