X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAIO Laptop Problem

Hi

I am trying to fix a VAIO laptop.

What happens is that it shows the windows loading screen and then that disappears and then it goes to a BSOD.
    When you turn the laptop on, it comes up with the vaio logo but it has lines down the screen and then when that disappears it has loads of brackets ) on the screen.

I have been trying to do a full recovery (so it re-installs vista etc) but can't seem to do that as when I put the recovery discs in there is no option for that.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Regards

Download the .ISO file and use a tool to create a bootable USB memory stick. Try reinstalling via that method.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Run diagnostics on the HDD.

What is the blue screen you are getting?
      I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
        Run diagnostics on the HDD.

What is the blue screen you are getting?
        I am not sure. I can't really tell as it disappears really quickly. I have tried to look but I can't see that it says either.

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
        Download the .ISO file and use a tool to create a bootable USB memory stick. Try reinstalling via that method.
        That is what I was going to do but I can't find a legal Vista ISO.

Comment

Originally posted by mrnothersan View Post
          That is what I was going to do but I can't find a legal Vista ISO.
          It seems that they're all pre-activated. Which version of Vista do you require? I've got both 32bit and 64bit Home Premium DVDs here. If you send me a memory stick, I could install the .ISO on to it for you.
          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

It seems that they're all pre-activated. Which version of Vista do you require? I've got both 32bit and 64bit Home Premium DVDs here. If you send me a memory stick, I could install the .ISO on to it for you.
            Wouldn't it be easier if you just sent me the iso/uploaded it somewhere so I can download it and put it on a mem stick/dvd?

Regards

Comment

I am not going to upload 3GB at 40KB/s.

Comment

Why not? It will only take a few days?

Comment

Is there any way you can get it to me "electronically"?

Try megaupload/mediafire and see how long it will take, if you could. They are usually quite fast.

Regards
                  Last edited by mrnothersan; 04-08-11, 19:24. Reason: typo, oops!

Comment

I just told you... 40KB/s upload speeds.

Comment

I just told you... 40KB/s upload speeds.
                      Ahh, sorry, you did, I thought mfire, mupload are still faster but anyways...
                      Internet speeds must be quite slow in your area then!

Could you send the ISO on a disc to me or not?

Regards

Comment

i have vista business
                        Is my new Kingston flash drive on drugs?

i

Comment

Originally posted by watercooled View Post
                          i have vista business
                          It's Home Premium and as far as I know 32 bit.
                          EDIT: Is there anywhere that I can *legally* download the ISO for Vista?
                          Last edited by mrnothersan; 04-08-11, 20:54.

Comment

have you tried Safe mode???
                            also most laptops have a copy of the windows installation ready to install through a destructive restore (which means EVERYTHING will be lost) but your laptop should be setup as though you walked out the shop with it.. not sure which keys you'd press for this though as they are different from computer to computer (try press TAB as the computer boots as this should give you more info also might be useful to use the Pause key)

Comment

Originally posted by Ratty View Post
                              have you tried Safe mode???
                              also most laptops have a copy of the windows installation ready to install through a destructive restore (which means EVERYTHING will be lost) but your laptop should be setup as though you walked out the shop with it.. not sure which keys you'd press for this though as they are different from computer to computer (try press TAB as the computer boots as this should give you more info also might be useful to use the Pause key)
                              Can't figure out how to do that (that is what I am trying to do). Can't get in to Safe Mode either.

Comment

Working...
                              X