Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop wanted by one harassed dad

Hey guys. with xmas coming i have a 13 year old daughter who has a
    superb home PC (P3 Dell) but wants a laptop.

Spends half her time at mine, and half at mums so its a practical request.

I nearly gonna have close to £400 plus a few quid i will get selling the old
    P3. Prob an extra £50.

So any ideas...it needs to be more of a homework type with some multimedia functions and be able to run wireless.

Looking for new rather than refurb and i know at that price it aint gonna
    have all the bells and whistles but it dosnt need to.

suggestions ???

The rule about not mentioning competitors is going to cause a problem in this thread.

But as Aria mention Dell all over there website then to the hell with it.

Dell desktops are crap.

Dell's budget laptop are very nice.

May i recommend www.dell.co.uk have a look at what you can find, look at some of the refurbs as there are some very good deals.

If you decide to buy from there, scoot over to www.moneysavingexpert.com and check out there forums for Dell discount codes.

There's always a few knocking about.

(Make sure you order the extra long battery)

Then once you get it, Format then reinstall Windows.

JoBs A gOoD uN!

Comment

I agree. Dell laptops aren't bad. All the senior managers where I work use Dell laptops and they're very nice

I've seen new Dell laptops for under £400 on their website, some ever have extra ram and hard drive offers. There's also a section on the site for laptops pre-build for customers who then changed their minds, so they often go really cheap as well!

Failing that, I'm trying to sell my laptop at the moment
      Gaming Rig: C2D E8400 @ 3.85GHz : Biostar TPower I45 : 4GB of something, I forget what : 4870 512MB DDR5 : X-Fi
      Media Rig: C2D E2160@ 1.86GHz : 2GB PC5300 : Palit 8800GTS 320MB : SB Audigy 2

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

Where I work we've also spent thousands witih Dell over the years, and I've heard their customer service skills are the worst. We complained so much that they gave us a free laser printer as compensation the other week
          Gaming Rig: C2D E8400 @ 3.85GHz : Biostar TPower I45 : 4GB of something, I forget what : 4870 512MB DDR5 : X-Fi

Comment

Cheers for the thoughs on that guys...Last time i bought from Dell it was a desk top lasted me solid 5 years no probs. Dont have a clue on laptops.
            Maybe closer to xmas will lead to some deals.....If Aria have the right one then id rather go this route.....

Prob with Dell is there cheaper ones are 90 day warranty or you have to pay extra for a full year..thats a bit of a cheat really.....

I will see what Aria have leading to xmas and on the rush hours

I dont wanna refurb unit or one with a non UK keyboard...

Comment

I've recently sold an acer laptop, was fine for everything you mentioned, built in wifi, 512mb ram, 40 gig hdd 15\" screen.
              Only problem was the battery life of 1.5 hours at best, was only 10 months old also. Was only 400 quid new though. Maybe worth looking at acers as they certainly seem the best value. You won't go far wrong with the new dells either though.

Hope this helps..

Ben

Comment

Re:

Acer Aspire 3004WLMi

Product Description: Acer Aspire 3004WLMi - Mobile Sempron 3100+ 1.8 GHz - 15.4\" TFT
                Dimensions (WxDxH): 36.4 cm x 27.9 cm x 3.9 cm
                Weight: 2.8 kg
                System Type: Notebook
                Built-in Devices: Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
                Processor: AMD Mobile Sempron 3100+ / 1.8 GHz
                Cache Memory: 256 KB - L2 Cache
                RAM: 512 MB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR SDRAM - 333 MHz - PC2700
                Hard Drive: 40 GB
                Optical Storage: DVD±RW (+R double layer) - integrated
                Display: 15.4\" TFT active matrix 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
                Graphics Controller: SiSM760GX
                Audio Output: Sound card
                Telecom Fax / modem: 56 Kbps
                Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
                Input Device: Keyboard, touchpad, 4-way scroll button
                Battery: Lithium Ion
                Run Time (Up To): 1.5 hour(s)
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year warranty

£359.99 Delivered

ACER Aspire 5101AWLMI

Processor -AMD Turion MK-36,
                15.4\" WXGA TFT Display with Acer CrystalBrite
                ATI Radeon® Xpress 1100 integrated 3D graphics with up to 256 MB of shared system memory
                512MB DDR2 RAM,
                60GB 5400RPM Hard Disk Drive
                DVD-RW
                802.11b/g Wireless,
                5-in-1 Card Reader

£401.50 inc VAT

2 very nice Laptop's

Comment

They're both rather nice, particularly the second one for the cash! I personally wouldn't user Acer though, they have a low quality feel to them

Comment

YEAH the new Dells are good value if you want a cheap new one but
                    you have to think of the customer service if and when you need it. Also
                    as i said before you look at Dells adverts and online they only have 3 months warranty ops: unless you pay a hefty premuim to have a full years warranty.

anyway thanks for the above i think i have the solution

Comment

Acer poor quality laptops surely you are having a joke?

They are small, light, sleek, sexy laptops. For a good price.

Go to a shop dude and find a Acer laptop and have a play. They are well nice!!

Comment

Re:

[quote:ad0870e37e=\"Belso\"]Acer poor quality laptops surely you are having a joke?

Go to a shop dude and find a Acer laptop and have a play. They are well nice!![/quote:ad0870e37e]

I prefer Sony myself 8)

Comment

Re:

[quote:3a454e01f9=\"Barley\"][quote:3a454e01f9=\"Belso\"]Acer poor quality laptops surely you are having a joke?

Go to a shop dude and find a Acer laptop and have a play. They are well nice!![/quote:3a454e01f9]

I prefer Sony myself 8)[/quote:3a454e01f9]

You prefere that overpriced, exploding Sony Laptop things?

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

Re:

[quote:4580d68db3=\"Belso\"][quote:4580d68db3=\"Barley\"][quote:4580d68db3=\"Belso\"]Acer poor quality laptops surely you are having a joke?

Go to a shop dude and find a Acer laptop and have a play. They are well nice!![/quote:4580d68db3]

I prefer Sony myself 8)[/quote:4580d68db3]

You prefere that overpriced, exploding Sony Laptop things? [/quote:4580d68db3]

I think volatile is a more appropriate term

Comment

Working...
                              X