Barebone Laptops????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barebone Laptops????

Just wondered if anyone knows af a decent Barebone laptop place?

Seen a few lappys i may get but i know i will be spending a bit of money on a SSD for it and got me thinking if there were any good barebones round.
    More cheese Gromit?

An SSD in a laptop can half battery life, Just to let you know

Comment

Originally posted by SeanBond View Post

Thats lame - I normally get spare pack if im out or whateva.

Main use will be in bed on facebook/youtube

and watching films under the table at work.
      More cheese Gromit?

Comment

I have 6 Batterys

Comment

I have 6 Batterys

Do pancakes require battries??

lol

always have to have a spare batt even for my phone just in case i dont have time to charge it

Super useful.
          More cheese Gromit?

Comment

No idea where you get that from; SSDs use (quite a lot) less power than HDDs.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
              No idea where you get that from; SSDs use (quite a lot) less power than HDDs.
              Nope, i thought the same at first

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...tery,1955.html

Comment

That article is well over 2 years old, and was updated shortly afterwards with another article where they explained that they were wrong with their testing:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rive,1968.html

Even the second, updated, article failed to take into account critical issues; for example the fact that when not in use an SSD can be powered down between reads and writes, whereas a mechanical hard drive needs to keep spinning or suddenly access times turn into seconds (it takes time to get a HDD up to a usable RPM).

Basically if you are reading and writing CONSTANTLY, the SSDs they tested back then could draw just as much or in some cases more than a mechanical HDD. However nobody uses a drive like that, and if you combine this with the fact that we're now onto the second/third generation of SSDs (as opposed to the first gen ones being reviewed by TH) with better drivers and firmware, the situation is radically different.

My personal experience from actual use of an SSD (intel X25-M) in a laptop is that it gave me about 30 minutes extra battery life (on a laptop with about 3 hours normal use from it's battery).

Comment

That article is well over 2 years old, and was updated shortly afterwards with another article where they explained that they were wrong with their testing:

Even the second, updated, article failed to take into account critical issues; for example the fact that when not in use an SSD can be powered down between reads and writes, whereas a mechanical hard drive needs to keep spinning or suddenly access times turn into seconds (it takes time to get a HDD up to a usable RPM).

Basically if you are reading and writing CONSTANTLY, the SSDs they tested back then could draw just as much or in some cases more than a mechanical HDD. However nobody uses a drive like that, and if you combine this with the fact that we're now onto the second/third generation of SSDs (as opposed to the first gen ones being reviewed by TH) with better drivers and firmware, the situation is radically different.

My personal experience from actual use of an SSD (intel X25-M) in a laptop is that it gave me about 30 minutes extra battery life (on a laptop with about 3 hours normal use from it's battery).
                  ahh right, didnt see that, my bad

Comment

No probs, it's unusual for Tom's Hardware to be that far off the mark, that wasn't one of their better articles .

Personally I love SSDs in laptops; it's one of the best places for them because you don't typically need 300Gb or whatever in a laptop (or at least, I don't..) and the much quicker startup/shutdown speeds SSDs provide come in very handy on mobile devices.

Comment

No probs, it's unusual for Tom's Hardware to be that far off the mark, that wasn't one of their better articles .

Personally I love SSDs in laptops; it's one of the best places for them because you don't typically need 300Gb or whatever in a laptop (or at least, I don't..) and the much quicker startup/shutdown speeds SSDs provide come in very handy on mobile devices.
                      I have a 160Gb in mine atm and use about 20Gb of it, i store all my files on my desktop and then just share them across the network

Once prices fall i might get one then

Comment

Thats awesome to know. no to decide what lappy to get and what ssd to pop in it. Prob get a 256gb one so i can have some other bits on there part from windows lol.

let the googleing start.
                        More cheese Gromit?

Comment

Not many barebone laptops about. Most of the time it is cheaper to just buy one with a HDD that you want and then swap it out and sell on ebay if not any use elsewhere
                          i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
                          ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
                          650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
                          Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

Could get a Clevo custom one.

Comment

Working...
                            X