Need a laptop for 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a laptop for 400

Whats the best laptop I can get for 400 please? 15" or less please is prefered and must have windows 64bit version.

"Best" depends on function. What will it be used for?
    i7 3770K @ 3.5Ghz (to overclock) Noctua NH-D14 Cooler Gigabyte Z77X-D3H 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600Mhz 2 x KFA2 670 OC 4GB (SLI) 2 x 256GB & 1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD Corsair TX 850w Antec P182 W7 Professional 64 27" Yamakasi Catleap 2560 x 1440 Asus Xonar DX Alesis M1 Active 520

Comment

Probably mostly web browsing. Needs to be quick and responsive though.

Comment

Kinda begs the question of why you specifically want a 64-bit OS then. Can't see any need for 4GB+ RAM for web browsing.

If it's responsiveness, something with an SSD might be a good thing to look for. Not looked at any specific models so not sure you'll get anything in the price range.

Otherwise, anything at 400 would be good for web browsing and general use. In fact, you could think about reducing that budget a bit and treating yourself to a load of wham bars on the side.
        i7 3770K @ 3.5Ghz (to overclock) Noctua NH-D14 Cooler Gigabyte Z77X-D3H 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600Mhz 2 x KFA2 670 OC 4GB (SLI) 2 x 256GB & 1 x 64GB Crucial M4 SSD Corsair TX 850w Antec P182 W7 Professional 64 27" Yamakasi Catleap 2560 x 1440 Asus Xonar DX Alesis M1 Active 520

Comment

Personally I dont think less than 3gb is enough for windows 7 especially when anti virus and other programs are installed. Web browsers can use a lot of memory nowadays especially when several tabs windows open. 32bit limit of 3gb includes that of graphics memory so will probably end up with less than 3gb for system. Needs to be fairly future proof as well. Nobody wants to have spend that much on a pc only to have to replace in a couple years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Computer Robot View Post
            Personally I dont think less than 3gb is enough for windows 7 especially when anti virus and other programs are installed. Web browsers can use a lot of memory nowadays especially when several tabs windows open. 32bit limit of 3gb includes that of graphics memory so will probably end up with less than 3gb for system. Needs to be fairly future proof as well. Nobody wants to have spend that much on a pc only to have to replace in a couple years time.
            So why not use 64bit? I have 3Gb RAM with Windows 7 x64 on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanBond View Post
              So why not use 64bit? I have 3Gb RAM with Windows 7 x64 on my laptop.
              Yes I do want win7 x64. I said this in 1st post.

Comment

3Gb is fine to run win 7 with...

But not alot of point have 64bit unless you have 4gb+ of ram

Comment

Originally posted by maestro59 View Post
                  3Gb is fine to run win 7 with...

But not alot of point have 64bit unless you have 4gb+ of ram
                  There is, its much faster.

Comment

So anyone got any recommendations then?

Comment

sry to post twice but do any of the manufacturers give more than just 1 year warranty?

Comment

Yes, people are digressing.

Back to the OP: I think you're going to struggle to find a 400 laptop with a 64-bit OS. Simple reason being that such an OS is not really needed for less than 4GB RAM and 4GB+ models would be a bit more expensive.

That said, something in the Asus X5EAE range is almost on-spec, although the screen is too big for you! There is a much-berated but often loved online retailer who sells a 4GB version for 400.

From Aria, how about this (again, 15.6" and doesn't say if 64-bit OS):

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Lapto...roductId=41388

Comment

Originally posted by Bezza View Post
                          Yes, people are digressing.

Back to the OP: I think you're going to struggle to find a 400 laptop with a 64-bit OS. Simple reason being that such an OS is not really needed for less than 4GB RAM and 4GB+ models would be a bit more expensive.

That said, something in the Asus X5EAE range is almost on-spec, although the screen is too big for you! There is a much-berated but often loved online retailer who sells a 4GB version for 400.

From Aria, how about this (again, 15.6" and doesn't say if 64-bit OS):

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Lapto...roductId=41388

Thanks ill add the asus to the hat, anymore anybody?

Comment

Interesting shout from another thread. The processor would probably make up for the lower amount of RAM.

Originally posted by brendanb581 View Post
                            Check the advent sienna 500 from currys, it has a i5 processor which is even better than an i3 and its only 429

dont be put off by the brand, its just the name of the casing really.. all the inside parts are OEM parts like samsung etc..

just ordered one myself

Comment

The post above is pure $&$$, advent is one of the worse brands on the planet, its NOT just the casing...

Comment

Working...
                              X