Laptop Fan problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Fan problem

I have a Compaq C700, and the fan doesnt seen to spin to full speed other than when its booting, and then it reboots when it hits 55.

Just replaced TIM but its still happening under load

Any ideas?

PS, its got loads of air flow.

Could this have fixed the problem?

I didnt install any drivers when i installed windows 7 on it because windows got them all

So just now i installed the proper chipset drivers and it seems alright so far, could have fixed?

Comment

Possible, although the fan should be controlled by BIOS. Has it overheated at all?
      My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post
        Possible, although the fan should be controlled by BIOS. Has it overheated at all?
        Its shut down a few times, no options in BIOS.

I installed everest and was looking at the temps and every time it touched over 55 it shut down, now it got to like 60 when i played 2 x 1080p movies and it didnt shutdown.

55 for a 65mn intel is nothing, so no. it hasnt overheated.

Comment

Damn it, just did it again. it seems sometimes the fan decided not to get faster under load.

Comment

Ah ok, I find latops really annoying to work on. Billions of screws an such. I tried to redo my fan once but just gave up. I don't really use it as it's rubbish anyway lol.

Maybe if you are using it on your lap or carpet, place it on a tray. Keep the vents free and may help air flow.

Hmm, I think there an option in Speedfan where you can setup fan profiles. IIRC
            My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post
              Ah ok, I find latops really annoying to work on. Billions of screws an such. I tried to redo my fan once but just gave up. I don't really use it as it's rubbish anyway lol.

Maybe if you are using it on your lap or carpet, place it on a tray. Keep the vents free and may help air flow.

Hmm, I think there an option in Speedfan where you can setup fan profiles. IIRC
              Its on a stand, and the stand is on my desk. and i cant change it in speedfan. only a 2 pin fan -_-

Comment

Here's a suggestion: If conpaq do maintenance manuals on their web (dell do, not sure about compaq) try taking it apart and giving it a good clean. Clean out the fan etc. The chances are it's just dirt slowing it down and crap blocking bits inside.

If you are scared about taking them apart, if you have the manual it's pretty easy. I did it for the first time about a year ago with my Dell M1710 to replace the graphics card, so had to take the whoile damn thing apart. I was bricking it, but it was actually a lot easier than I thought.

Laptops are buggers for getting blocked up, and they overheat really easy if anything is blocked or if you put them on your lap and block the fan entry points.

I wouldn't be worrying about drivers etc - the fan control is taken care of by the BIOS normally. If it's started getting hot after owning it for a while I would bet it's clogged up.

Oh.. just one afterthought. There is a very slim possibility that the bond on the heatsink to CPU has gone bad, but it's very unlikely to suddenly go bad.

Comment

Done, Done and Done already.

Comment

The fans donald ducked then - just replace it. Sometimes the bearings go.

Comment

Ill get another fan on Monday. lucky i have access to shedloads of parts. i have 6 battery's for this

Comment

unlikely to be the fan if it spins at full speed on boot

tried clearing CMOS

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3466273

Comment

Alternatively you could pop down the local butchers and see if they will let you sit in the walk in freezer and use it.

Comment

This is weird, i thought i would run a memtest just to check.

No errors so far but the fan is running fine!

Comment

Just looked at the SMART info and the "Relocated Sector Count" has a warning near it.

could this be causing the reboots?

Comment

Working...
                              X