What laptop !?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What laptop !?!

Having seen the PSU electric cost thread and the monstrous yearly cost of running my rig, im gonna be looking into getting a lappy instead.

My requirements would be:

Similar abilities to my desktop (cpu/graphics/ram etc)
    Large screen
    Possibly USB3 Sata 6gbp/s for external drive transfers, though i could live without it.

Usage requirements are decent vid playback, fast surfing with multiple windows, occasional gaming (so similar to 4890 gaming ability)

What would you guys suggest ?

Edit: Already have an OS so thats not important either (maybe vendor would swap OS for Office)
    Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Finding a laptop that's nearly as good a a desktop is not hard but its expensive..

USB3 Sata 6gbp/s would require a express card as none that i know have that inbuilt.

Hope it helps I'm not that good with laptops ;P

Comment

Looking for somethjing that would compete with a decent gaming rig I had a look around and for about 7G's you can get a laptop that looks like this: -

there was too much here to post, sorry
      Last edited by Tyke2701; 20-08-10, 19:17. Reason: Sorry, did'see all the hiddent ext when I copied it, now removed but it was impressive

Comment

7 grand ? lmao, for that is want it to smash anything and everything else to bits and make my coffee while its at it
        Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

I just got a Dell Studio XPS 16"

i7 720QM Quad core 1.6Ghz
          4GB DDR3
          320GB 7200RPM Drive WD Scorpio Black
          Radeon 4670 1GB
          1920x1080 15.6" Edge to Edge WLED
          Bluetooth,
          Wirless LAN N Card
          8 x DVDRW

from Dell outlet.
          622 delivered and its brilliant..

Just been playing blur on max settings and I'm impressed.

The only thing is they sent me a 90w adaptor and its baking hot, apparently I should have a 130w adaptor.
          Media PC I5 2500k 8GB Kingston @1600Mhz
          Radeon 6790 1GB, 8TB Samsung HDD, Pioneer Blu Ray Burner
          NZXT Duet Media Optoma HD33 3D Projector 2.5 Metre Screen
          Marantz 7010, Kef Surround 7.2.4 Atmos SI dual 15" Sub

Comment

The Mobility HD5870 is equivalent to the HD5770 desktop and is the fastest single mobile GPU AMD do. You are going to have to budget some serious dosh to get one of them though, usually 1k+. There's supposedly some mobile Fermi parts kicking around OEMs so won't be long before they come out, will be interesting to see how they compare to the mobile HD5xxxs. I probably wouldn't buy until they are available, just in case.

As unreel has said, you're going to want one of the i7 QMs. Personally I think you'll probably save more just having your desktop (and it's more reliable and upgradeable) than doing a large capital investment, unless you're wanting to save leccy over two or more years.
            Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
            Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Well thats it really, i usually keep my machines for 3-4 years before a rebuild, this one is getting on for a year old now (doesnt time fly) but if a lapp of similar performance is gonna cost a third to run, its a no-brainer really.

I figure i'll get 4-450 or thereabouts for my rig, i can chuck another 2-300 on that for something decent if it comes along.

Comment

Working...
              X