inspiron 1720 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inspiron 1720 help

Can any one tell if i put a ssd in this laptop will it operate at sata 2 speeds? thanks

Yes it will.

Comment

Are you sure mate as i dont want to but a high spec one to be limited to 150 speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by muffin-man View Post
        Are you sure mate as i dont want to but a high spec one to be limited to 150 speeds.
        The question would be, has it got a SATA-II drive in atm? it should be SATA-II though

Comment

No its just a standard laptop drive so the laptop may support sata 2 but that dosent mean it will support the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by muffin-man View Post
            No its just a standard laptop drive so the laptop may support sata 2 but that dosent mean it will support the speed.
            If it has a SATA-II controller then it will be up to 3Gbps.

Comment

Thats why i made a thread all i can find on the internet is the chipset supports sata 300 but other people who have different laptops with the same chipset are saying its limited to 150. Heres an example but its not for my laptop but it has the same chipset http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...ation-ssd.html

Comment

Sorry for the duff responses received above ^^^

indeed your limited to 150 speeds

you can put put a sata II drive in due to backwards compatibility but the the dell 1720 is Sata I (150).

Comment

Originally posted by PMM View Post
                  Sorry for the duff responses received above ^^^

indeed your limited to 150 speeds

you can put put a sata II drive in due to backwards compatibility but the the dell 1720 is Sata I (150).
                  Uhhh sorry?

Comment

it's reasonably simply Sean, the laptop SATA controller determines the rate of throughput from the drive.

PMM indicates the laptop has SATA150, not SATA300. A sata300 drive will operate in a 150 setup, but won't obviously run at full speeds.

DT.
                    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Its a bit more complex than that lol

controller is an ICH8M and can support Sata II but many issues existed.

Many manufactures nobbled the ICH8M in Bios to Sata I speeds.

Reason being that the Drives experienced data corruption due to the connection interface.

Also at the time it was a bit hit and miss with ACHI drivers.

Hope that clears things up

Comment

My Studio 1735 has an ICH8M iirc, and I think it's also been restricted to SATA1 speeds as I could only get about 140MB/s read out of my Corsair P64, and 90MB/s writes.

Having said that, it still revolutionised my laptop and startup was cut in half. I've now stolen it for my gaming PC and in a way regret it. Though the effect of getting an SSD is profound in a desktop, getting one in a laptop is nothing short of revolutionary. I wouldn't worry about not getting the max speed, because even if you don't as soon as you've started using it you won't want to turn back.
                        Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
                        Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

It won't make any dif - the drives internal speed wont be faster than sata 1

Comment

Working...
                          X