Hi guys,

I'm runing this rig:

Intel i5 2500k
    Zotac mITX mobo
    Mushkin DDR3 8GB
    Silverstone Steel Series 600w modular PSU
    MSI GTX560 Ti TwinFrozr
    240GB Pioneer SSD

PSU and SSD are pretty new, the rest is fairly old.

I'm set on just switching out the GPU, as the other bits seem more than capable for my needs for now and have read a lot about CPU's being OC'd and keeping up with more modern counterparts quite well for gaming. I might drop 100 on 16GB of RAM too.

In approx. 2-3 years, I'll probably build a whole new machine from scratch.

In the mean time do I upgrade my GPU to a budget card (cheap as poss for a good performance boost) or do I go balls out and buy an RTX 2080 TI and carry it over into the new rig? I can afford either option, but I'd prefer to get the better value option long term. Is it a waste of money buying the cheap one if I'm going to start again later? Will a 2080 Ti last long enough to be relevant for another 6 years or so from now?

I can't really comment on whether it'll still be good in 6 years time - we just don't know what games will be released and how things will develop.

However, I'm running a very similar system to yours (12Gb RAM rather than 8Gb), and I've got a GTX1060 in mine, and it handles everything no problem (bearing in mind I game at 1080P - I doubt it would be the case if I went up to 4k!)

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
    X