No announcement yet.

VR Card Recommendation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VR Card Recommendation

Short version, brought a Rift after the price drop - laptop works well enough for gaming, but only really the simple games (1050 mobile gpu in HP Omen gaming laptop)

Home machine, still running a Palit 680 and despite various adapters and the like and the bench being comparable to the 1050, no go on getting a display output, I suspect Nvidia drivers are limiting factor as says not VR Ready, despite reports of some people getting it working.

Office machine, has a RX480 in it used for a dabble in Unreal Engine development work, brought the Rift in today and smacked, crashed and shot my way through a few frantic Robo Recall levels. No judder, thing is solid. This card is also left on as in the office mining Eth, I've about 0.73 of a coin. Haven't optimised too much, just the mining drivers.

Decision I need help with.

Swap the 680 to office, and 480 to home and no more Eth mining.

Buy a new Nvidia card (bench in general seem better for Rift), leave 480 until pool payout (1 coin) or leave going forever.

Buy a 8Gb 580, which seem to be a down in price - put that in office to mine and take 480 home, or leave 480 mining and 580 sits there doing nothing 95% of the week.

My budget is the awkward part - I don't really want a larger outlay that 200, so the budget then is 200 + selling + Eth sale when hitting 1 coin? Withdrawing from the pool at less than 1 incurs a fair what on charge iirc.

I think Coiler needs to call me and give me some options I can't resist, I'm tempted but it's a stretch on budget

Home machine is a i5 with 8Gb ram, for reference, work is a i7-2600k with 32Gb ram ..... Both run off Samsung 250Gb ssd and power supplies are more than required for any of the available tech.

Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

Also thinking of upgrading mine for the Vive. Cannot justify a 1080ti but liking the look of a 1070ti when they come out. I just know when i try and run fallout VR it's going to upset me.

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

I decided to stop waiting, had so much fun this weekend using this card

I'm getting the odd frame dropping, but looking at the logs I'm hitting my CPU limits i5-4690K that boosts to 3.9Ghz. Might have to move the Oculus games dir onto an ssd as well, 100% disk load noticed a couple of times, 1060 got to about 60% load tops!
      Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
      Forum Guidelines here