GPU Recomendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Recomendations

Looking at getting a new GPU around the 400 mark. I noticed a lot of people round here are talking about ATi stuff. Generally had more success in the past with the green side of the spectrum. But how do they compare nowadays?

Bare in mind I do tend to use Linux a fair bit. All i hear on the web is to avoid ATi if you plan to game on linux. But I have no experience of that. Apparently drivers are just a nightmare.

So. I'm looking at the nvidia 1070 ti, or a standard 1070. But which one?
    Is there much difference between them? Say the Asus Dual 1070 vs a EVGA FTW Gaming.

I prefer the Asus Dual aesthetics as it doesnt have.... RGB... And im not 12. But im not overly bothered as it'll be in a closed in case, no window. I don't want to have to use all the extra **** "Gaming" software or anything daft just cos it has lights on it.

Then we have the ATi side. I literally have no idea whats what. Apart from looking on benchmark sites. I don't know their naming scheme for high mid and low cards. And do I want to shoot myself in the foot again going the ATi route?

So yeah. Suggestions and opinions please.

Thanks all.

Originally posted by Mordynak View Post
    Looking at getting a new GPU around the �400 mark. I noticed a lot of people round here are talking about ATi stuff. Generally had more success in the past with the green side of the spectrum. But how do they compare nowadays?

Bare in mind I do tend to use Linux a fair bit. All i hear on the web is to avoid ATi if you plan to game on linux. But I have no experience of that. Apparently drivers are just a nightmare.

So. I'm looking at the nvidia 1070 ti, or a standard 1070. But which one?
    Is there much difference between them? Say the Asus Dual 1070 vs a EVGA FTW Gaming.

I prefer the Asus Dual aesthetics as it doesnt have.... RGB... And im not 12. But im not overly bothered as it'll be in a closed in case, no window. I don't want to have to use all the extra **** "Gaming" software or anything daft just cos it has lights on it.

Then we have the ATi side. I literally have no idea whats what. Apart from looking on benchmark sites. I don't know their naming scheme for high mid and low cards. And do I want to shoot myself in the foot again going the ATi route?

So yeah. Suggestions and opinions please.

Thanks all.
    Frankly, there isn't anything in the red corner that is miles ahead of the green corner. In fact I am surprised to hear you've heard that AMD are the way to go.

The 1070ti is brand new and there aren't reviews out yet. From what I've heard so far it's locked so can't be overclocked and is a speed binned 1080 that didn't make the grade.
    If these rumours are true then I don't see why you'd want one, but we will know more next week when the NDA lifts and the reviews come out.

In other words, don't make a decision till next week. But stick with Nvidia
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

The AMD driver stack for Linux has been showing impressive performance to be honest, I don't know why people on the web are saying avoid ATi for Linux, the support for AMD cards is better generally.
      Last edited by PhillipM; 28-10-17, 23:23.

Comment

It may be getting better. But its not better than nVidia.

Its not that I heared ATi are the way to go. I just noticed that most of the threads here are about ATi cards as opposed to nVidia.

Gonna wait see what prices look like when the 1070 ti's are released.

Comment

Polaris is massively supported now, Vega isn't far behind and it's in process at the minute, things have changed very rapidly of late with Linux, it's no longer Nvidia's driver lead, maybe still for development work, but anything else and AMD is there and still getting more and more support since the open driver collaboration started

Comment

Originally posted by Mordynak View Post
            It may be getting better. But its not better than nVidia.

Its not that I heared ATi are the way to go. I just noticed that most of the threads here are about ATi cards as opposed to nVidia.

Gonna wait see what prices look like when the 1070 ti's are released.
            They're already on aria. Roughly around the same price as a gtx1080.

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

I got a 1070 can vouch for it. If you so desire they also have tons of overclocking potential.
              GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

gtx 1070 or 1070ti, very rare the AMD stuff sells in comparison.

Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Working...
                X