Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 7970 finally died....anyone know where I can get a new VRM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 7970 finally died....anyone know where I can get a new VRM?

Right, VRM fried on my 7970, everything else looks fine, anyone know anywhere that might supply parts like that? Or has anyone got an old/dead one that might donate me some new VRMs to bring mine back to life?

Chances are that the core or memory is fried at that point. Failing VRMs will more than likely send a high current surge through the other components.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

another faulty card would be where i would look but i would not be shocked if dude is right and the vrm has taken something else with it
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
        Chances are that the core or memory is fried at that point. Failing VRMs will more than likely send a high current surge through the other components.
        It looks like the case itself shorted to a drooping cap next to it, so I'm hoping I might be lucky, because it clocked like a beast and I wasn't finished playing with it

Comment

That does not sound good...

You'd be best off looking for a dead card on eBay and hoping it doesn't go for stupid money.
          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Yeah, the heatsink on it was just that thin thermal tape - I think it's slid into the cap and shorted the VRM case to the cap.

Problem is to have a decent upgrade from it instead of a sidestep it's 1070 or V56....expensive bit of thermal tape that.

Comment

That means it shorted to ground, you'd be lucky so salvage it. It's worth a go if you can get it for cheap enough.

Yeah, the cards are still insanely expensive. A 1070 is the only real upgrade, and even those are costly as well.

Comment

maybe the 1070 ti will help their prices, i doubt it but you know

i am in the same boat, i need a new gpu and i would only consider the v56 or a 1070 an upgrade but i aint too interested in their current prices :s
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

I can get a 580 for ~200, it's not really what I want - a 1060/1070 would be a better upgrade.... but I want Freesync

Comment

I managed to find the VRM's and the chip on the backside (just in case) for about 6 delivered, so there's a set on the way, along with a hot air rework station.....wish me luck

....there's also an RX580 coming just in case 'cause it was mega, mega cheap

Comment

What's mega cheap??

I hope it works. Get pics and show us!

Comment

Err....just over 100 quid mega cheap....

Comment

Working...
                        X