Why is my GPU so hot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my GPU so hot?

Been playing MWO, had HWmonitor running in the background. Upon leaving the game I noticed it reporting the GPU max temp as 94C... 195F

Its an nVidia GTX 760. EVGA reference one.

I tried PrecisionX with it a while ago. Which just made it noisy as **** without really making it any cooler. Aftet uninstalling PrecisionX, my card just seems to be noisy most of the time, and still very hot.

Before using PrecisionX, the MAX temp i would ever reach was 84.

So, any suggestions? Better software to control temps? Fresh drivers? Replace thermal paste? Get a new cooler or new GPU?

Cheers all!

EDIT: Oh, specs
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming (blargh)
    i7 6700K
    Samsung 950 Pro

Gpu is the only thing I didnt buy new for this build. Just had it kicking about.
    Last edited by Mordynak; 3 weeks ago. Reason: Specs

What framerate are you getting? Try capping it at 60 and see if it's any better...

You could try replacing the thermal paste, and improving airflow around the card...

But you're probably looking at a new GPU to be honest. I'm in a similar boat. Not overheating, the GTX 760 is just a bit too old for some of the games I want to play now.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Do the usual dust out your case, give the GPU a good dusting out. Make sure your cables are tidy to improve airflow. A had a sapphire x1800xt that used to pack in every year or so as would get so clogged dusted it out and it was fine every tone.
      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Off topic but how is MWO these days?

I used to play it a lot, I actually started in closed beta, but I've not played it now for a good few years.
        GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

i would bet it is the dust bunnies too. take it out and give it a brush with a small paint brush or blast it with a can of air and it should be ok.

might want to do the whole machine?
          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
          Plato

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
            Off topic but how is MWO these days?

I used to play it a lot, I actually started in closed beta, but I've not played it now for a good few years.
            I still enjoy it. There are a lot of things I really dislike about it. Mainly just PGI being ****ing stupid. Faction Warfare is a bit naff. Takes PGI an age to fix anything.

Just had some major updates though. Added alot of the old wepons from Mechwarrior 4 and such. The timeline in game is progressing which is nice.

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
            i would bet it is the dust bunnies too. take it out and give it a brush with a small paint brush or blast it with a can of air and it should be ok.

might want to do the whole machine?
            I'll give it a whirl. I recently cleaned out the case, dust filters and all. I'll give the GPU a look too.

It hit 92c whilst playing Styx.... hardly a demanding game. Constantly at 60FPS, always locked with vsync.
            Cheers all.

@ The admin, This new forum update is terrible.

Comment

Mordynak have you read any of the threads about why it had to be updated?

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                Mordynak have you read any of the threads about why it had to be updated?
                Not really no. I saw it was listed as a potential attack site the other day though. So i figured it was security related reason. I was only really messing though. I was just getting frustrated trying to quote multiple posts XD

Anyway, on topic....
                It was a little dusty.
                http://imgur.com/a/hb14U

So. I'll report back with temps shortly.

Comment

Max temps in the same game. Same area. 70c.... And frankly, I'm not surprised. ha ha

Fan only got to 55%

Comment

much better than the 90c you reported in the op dude

at 55% it must be nicer on the ears to live with too

i think precision will let you set up custom fan profiles if you want to ramp the fans up more to keep the temps down more?

if not msi afterburner will
                    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                    Plato

Comment

It's amazing how much the dust builds up even in cases with filters!
                      Check the VRM temps too unless your plate covers everything - I've just been struggling with mine, GPU was okay at 70*c but my overclocks kept failing because the VRMs were hitting 100*c - some new thermal paste under them and a good dust of the heatsink over them brought them down 10*c - still high but stable, need to find some bigger VRM heatsinks for a 7970 if anyone has any suggestions.....

I used to play loads of MWO as well Budfest (actually, I was #1 worldwide for a while )- I was chatting to someone last week about it, he says PGI are still doing the same development screw-ups and take forever to push bug-fixes, but they've just pushed a load of new mechs and weapons so he's happy playing MechLab-Online.
                      Last edited by PhillipM; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X