Just bought some hardware at auction like a muppet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought some hardware at auction like a muppet

So I just bought some hardware at an auction like the idiot I am.
    It was comprised of mostly returns though all the items looked in great condition.

I got two RX 480 8GB cards and a 1070 8GB.
    TPLink 24 port gb switch and a couple motherboards.

So Far I have tested the TPlink switch, as soon as I apply power all the lights are on and stay on. Plugging in a networked cable does nothing.

One RX 480 does not do anything when machine is on.
    The other lights up and spins fans but is not showing up on the test bench Windows 10 install.
    The 1070 spins up but again, does not show anything in OpenHardwareMonitor.

The motherboards I have not tested yet. One I got for 1 so not bothered but the other I got for 10.
    I think I have a CPU for one of them to test but one of the boards has a few bent pins, easily fixed though.

Any ideas on what I can try to do?

I also picked up a Razer headset that does nothing and a set of speakers, they turn on and connect to bluetooth but don't output sound.

TL;DR Bought stuff at auction, none of it works, regretting life decisions.
    PS, yes I know I probably got ****ed over on this one. Don't rub it in.

Did you ever ask yourself why they are up for auction?

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
      Did you ever ask yourself why they are up for auction?
      I know there is a risk. Most of the places I look said they are okay but can have a few bad things in with every auction.
      This is 100% everything is bad xD

Comment

Win some you loose some. Only really worth buying unknown stuff from auction when you know you have access to equipment and the knowledge to fix it if it ends up being faulty.

We used to buy stuff at auction all the time, but we also had access to an ir reballing station and also a hot air rework station.

Almost all the time, everything was faulty, but most of it we fixed and sold on, or stipped for parts and used to repair other things.

You could always try and bodge them, strip the cards and shove them in the oven for a bit. (Guides online but i don't recommend)

Or still a bodge but a much better one, buy some no clean liquid flux on eBay, stick it under the core and ram bga's then run a heatgun over them.

Any of these things could make them worse tho TBH, so your better off getting someone else to fix them that has the right equipment, or selling them on and hoping you get your money back.
        Last edited by Alfizzle; 11-07-17, 15:49.

Comment

How much did you pay?
          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

any obvious damage?
            a bios flash on the cards my help
            posted by scrivz69
            I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
            i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Good thinking, might just be bricked.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfizzle View Post
                Win some you loose some. Only really worth buying unknown stuff from auction when you know you have access to equipment and the knowledge to fix it if it ends up being faulty.

We used to buy stuff at auction all the time, but we also had access to an ir reballing station and also a hot air rework station.

Almost all the time, everything was faulty, but most of it we fixed and sold on, or stipped for parts and used to repair other things.

You could always try and bodge them, strip the cards and shove them in the oven for a bit. (Guides online but i don't recommend)

Or still a bodge but a much better one, buy some no clean liquid flux on eBay, stick it under the core and ram bga's then run a heatgun over them.

Any of these things could make them worse tho TBH, so your better off getting someone else to fix them that has the right equipment, or selling them on and hoping you get your money back.
                I'd rather sell as "For parts/Not Working" than put them through my reflow oven tbh.

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                How much did you pay?
                About 120 per card.

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                any obvious damage?
                a bios flash on the cards my help
                Will try the BIOS switch.

Any way to find out they are communicating with the motherboard other than OpenHardwareMonitor?

Comment

yup, muppet

if they don't allow you to test prior to the auction, leave well alone
                  Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                  Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Most of the old / rarer computing equipment I've bought as been from auctions and sold as untested or for parts. I've had a fair amount of luck so far with the amount of things that worked first time without having to perform any serious maintenance.

Comment

360 worth of paper weights. Bargain.
                      My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

I'd see if your can force the bios flash.

Or it may be worth getting the serial number and seeing if there's any manufacturer warranty left on the cards..

Originally posted by coiler
                        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          I'd see if your can force the bios flash.

Or it may be worth getting the serial number and seeing if there's any manufacturer warranty left on the cards..

What is the best way to force a flash?

Ill see if they are under warranty. Good idea but I do think you need original invoice.
                          Last edited by Jackster; 12-07-17, 09:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                            About 120 per card.

I've got some magic beans if you want them. 50 each.
                            Originally posted by coiler
                            He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                            Originally posted by BigIan88
                            turn off that sexy nonsense
                            Originally posted by Salad Soup
                            turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Just tried to flash both the 1070 and one of the 380s.
                              The 1070 closes after it says it is done and the ATIwinflash says no cards have been found.

I have also switched the BIOS switch but still nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X