Rig Upgrade for xmas this year 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doommachine619 View Post
    Right but don't you think every few years or so with new technology coming out, you should upgrade your rig to be competitive with it all ?
    That notion prevailed for some time. Every year or two brought a new generation of kit that was noticeably better than what went before. But then the "improvements" between generations shrank into insignificance, a few percent at best. The only thing that seems to do much now on the performance front is when new technology comes along.

The biggest change on that front in the time since many of us last built a PC is probably the rise of the solid state drive and, more recently, the introduction of the m.2 SSD, which supersedes the "slow" SATA interface. Apparently, this move brings minimal benefits to gamers.

One area of technology that has gone places is in Internet speeds. As these approach, and sometimes exceed, 100 Mbps, some peripherals such and modems and router get left behind. Five years ago you could still get modems with 100 Mbps LAN ports. They may struggle if someone has seriously fast Internet access.

With the development of technology slowing down, the biggest gains may be on the price front. Price for price, the graphics card you can buy now could wipe the floor with what you could get five years ago.
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Hang on, i thought mentioning christmas before December was an instant ban?

Originally posted by Aria
      On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Any mention of that event demands being hung, drawn and quartered.
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
        Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

right thanks for the tips guys, very useful info to know

Comment

Working...
          X