Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this CPU/mobo bundle good value? (spec me some options)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this CPU/mobo bundle good value? (spec me some options)

    Hi Guys,

    Been looking at upgrading my PC for a while, but I'm having my hand forced now as my PSU is playing up and causing safety reboots under high power applications sometimes.

    I want to keep my current GPU, SSD and HDD as they are all fairly recent, but I'll need new PSU, CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM and Mobo. (as I want to go latest gen Intel and DDR4)

    How's this bundle for performance/value? https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundl...roductId=67478

    I'm pretty set on swapping my build into a Fractal R5 during the upgrade unless there's anything vastly better available now?

    I do a fair bit of video editing/rendering now so maybe an i7 but a cheaper mobo would be good? I'd also like 16GB RAM ideally as I'm finding 8GB to be a bit low these days.

    Current spec:

    CPU / Processor:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandybridge @ 4GHzCPU
    CoolerCorsair H60 Water Cooler
    Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express
    Memory:8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz
    Hard Drive(s): 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD & 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
    Graphics:GeForce GTX 970 ASUS DirectCU II

    As far as budget, say 500 as I'll use the above bundle as a baseline to compare from. I'm not a hardcore gamer, Elite: Dangerous is my go to game at the moment, but I play stuff like Battlefield, Crysis and the like.

    Current mobo/ram aren't particularly high spec, so I'd certainly favour raw power over fancy components.

    If it meant getting a vastly more futureproof setup or squeezing in some extra cores with an i7 I could stretch the budget a bit.

    For what it's worth, all my fans are blue. So a mobo which was a colour that matched this for now would be nice, so white, blue or black would be ideal. Although I may swap the fans anyway!
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-05-17, 09:45.
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

    Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

  • #2
    do you do the rendering on your cpu or gpu?

    only for cpu based stuff amd cpu is what you want imo

    for gpu based stuff, an oc i5 is about as good as it gets for feeding the gpu data but for heavier cpu workloads, amd is where it as now
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by luke22 View Post
      do you do the rendering on your cpu or gpu?

      only for cpu based stuff amd cpu is what you want imo

      for gpu based stuff, an oc i5 is about as good as it gets for feeding the gpu data but for heavier cpu workloads, amd is where it as now
      When I say 'rendering' I just mean exporting video files from Adobe Premiere, I'm not doing CGI type stuff. Just incase I gave that impression.

      Premiere does all the actual encoding with the CPU, which is always maxed when I'm exporting files. Although the Adobe website says "a GPU of any type does not assist the actual encoding process, however, it can assist the overall exporting processing time."

      So the GPU is fine, but some more CPU horsepower wouldn't hurt!
      Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

      Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

      Comment


      • #4
        Any feedback on this guys?

        Wondering if I'd be better off with a stock i7 instead of the OC'd i5 to get better processing power for video editing?
        Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

        Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

        Comment


        • #5
          Instead of https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundl...roductId=67478

          for 500 ish,

          How about ... (And use old cooler, or add a BK009)



          Shopping Basket

          Shopping Basket
          |
          Address
          |
          Delivery Details
          |
          Payment & Confirmation
          |
          Complete
          |

          Remove Qty. Product Name Quickcode Price (exc. VAT) Line total
          Intel i7 6700K CPU + Asus Z170E ATX Motherboard + FREE GAME! #67592 333.33 333.33
          16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz DDR4 - Red #66970 93.50 93.50
          (click to empty your Shopping Basket)
          (click if you have changed any details)
          Financial options:
          Click apply now to start!
          Basket Total 426.83
          Approx. Delivery 6.95
          VAT 86.76
          Total 520.54
          Originally posted by Aaron
          I want those sweet cherries

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by coiler View Post
            Instead of https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundl...roductId=67478

            for 500 ish,

            How about ... (And use old cooler, or add a BK009)



            Shopping Basket

            Shopping Basket
            |
            Address
            |
            Delivery Details
            |
            Payment & Confirmation
            |
            Complete
            |

            Remove Qty. Product Name Quickcode Price (exc. VAT) Line total
            Intel i7 6700K CPU + Asus Z170E ATX Motherboard + FREE GAME! #67592 333.33 333.33
            16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz DDR4 - Red #66970 93.50 93.50
            (click to empty your Shopping Basket)
            (click if you have changed any details)
            Financial options:
            Click apply now to start!
            Basket Total 426.83
            Approx. Delivery 6.95
            VAT 86.76
            Total 520.54
            Looks like a good shout, although I'll be swapping the red RAM for the black version.

            Will my 4-5 year old Corsair H60 cooler be alright on the i7? It's only a single slot rad and I don't know how these newer i7s are on heat?

            Ooh and what would you recommend as a PSU? Worst case scenario if I get stuck I might just fit a new PSU and do the rest of the upgrade later in the year when I'm less busy and I've got time to do a full rebuild.
            Last edited by Cypher; 11-05-17, 15:01.
            Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

            Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

            Comment


            • #7
              As you are primarily working with Premiere... I'd get an AMD system. A R5 1600 or R7 1700 (value options, clock the same as their higher part numbers) and enjoy 6 or 8 cores with HT for rendering!
              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                As you are primarily working with Premiere... I'd get an AMD system. A R5 1600 or R7 1700 (value options, clock the same as their higher part numbers) and enjoy 6 or 8 cores with HT for rendering!
                Would this give equal or better performance than the i7 for gaming? As I spend more time gaming than rendering, however it's the rendering where the performance drop is most noticeable in my current setup.
                Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

                Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cypher View Post
                  Would this give equal or better performance than the i7 for gaming? As I spend more time gaming than rendering, however it's the rendering where the performance drop is most noticeable in my current setup.
                  Gaming performance roughly equal, believe AMD has made improvements since the launch reviews for overall performance.

                  4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    at low res the clock of the 77k gives it an edge over ryzen for gaming, more so when you overclock them towards 5ghz. but nothing is a massive increase from your current cpu in that regard. single thread perf has not seen any leaps since sandy and as such i doubt you will get any huge jumps in fps. both are going to be faster than sandy, but the difference in them is only going to be a handful of % at most. that is also only an issue at lower res, in some games i3 give the best fps at high res which is why gaming fps can be a bad indicator of cpu ability

                    real question, to me, is how well does premire scale on ryzen? going from a sandy i5 to ivy i7 you might get double the performance with the slight bump in ipc and the ht. going to an 8 core 16 thread ryzen cpu you could be getting closer to 4 times you know but if the software doesn't scale past 4 threads then they will all be no faster than an i5
                    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                    Plato

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by luke22 View Post
                      at low res the clock of the 77k gives it an edge over ryzen for gaming, more so when you overclock them towards 5ghz. but nothing is a massive increase from your current cpu in that regard. single thread perf has not seen any leaps since sandy and as such i doubt you will get any huge jumps in fps. both are going to be faster than sandy, but the difference in them is only going to be a handful of % at most. that is also only an issue at lower res, in some games i3 give the best fps at high res which is why gaming fps can be a bad indicator of cpu ability

                      real question, to me, is how well does premire scale on ryzen? going from a sandy i5 to ivy i7 you might get double the performance with the slight bump in ipc and the ht. going to an 8 core 16 thread ryzen cpu you could be getting closer to 4 times you know but if the software doesn't scale past 4 threads then they will all be no faster than an i5
                      I can't guarantee this is still 100% accurate as there have been a couple of updates since the study I read was done, but long story short although Premiere can use loads of cores (people using twin Xeons with 20 physical cores in some setups which would ultimately be faster) the study showed that there was always a big drop in processing efficiency after about 6 cores depending on the exact task being performed.
                      Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

                      Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cypher View Post
                        Looks like a good shout, although I'll be swapping the red RAM for the black version.

                        Will my 4-5 year old Corsair H60 cooler be alright on the i7? It's only a single slot rad and I don't know how these newer i7s are on heat?

                        Ooh and what would you recommend as a PSU? Worst case scenario if I get stuck I might just fit a new PSU and do the rest of the upgrade later in the year when I'm less busy and I've got time to do a full rebuild.

                        As long your bracket will fit 1151 socket can't see why not. We run 7700k off BK009 and BK008 coolers without issue, and even H45s.

                        I like gold PSUs

                        These two are great bang for buck...

                        https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=58174

                        https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=60492



                        I'd also plump for Intel at the moment, as whichever you dress it up, the intel is winning on gaming bench and ranks a good 16 steps up the chain!

                        http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...700/3647vs3917


                        4790k still edging it for gaming + desktop

                        http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...700/2384vs3917


                        Pure workstation i'd possibly look at Ryzen.
                        Originally posted by Aaron
                        I want those sweet cherries

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i'm rather inclined to say that the socket 1151 route is more for those only on the pure gaming side. that ryzen is for everyone else being productive.

                          if premiere scales with cores the step up from 4 cores to 8 cores with fake threads is going to be an impressive step for you

                          the reason i keep coming back to this is the op. you wanted a bump in rendering where you know you max your system, but want to keep the gaming ability too. for a 2500k user any of the 6 or 8 core ryzen cpu is going to give you an increase in ipc and much more multi threaded cpu power. which was what you wanted
                          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                          Plato

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You'll lose what 5-10% fps at 1080p vs 7700k with ryzen, but gain anything from 50% upwards on rendering performance vs anything i5/i7 range.

                            4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As above, a 1700 is a no-brainer in this situation tbh.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X