Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor

I'm interested in one of these offers, but can't make up my mind. Can anyone tell me what the possibilities are for increasing the HDD from the 250Gb offered.... and how best? Internal 1Tb - but is there space? It looks like there's only one drive bay...... Then there's external - but how?

It's not a gaming machine, but is it otherwise OK? Limitations?

Is this a product on Aria? IF it is, can you post a link? (if it's not, then don't, for obvious reasons! )

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Refu...roductId=67304

Comment

'Moonchester' is quite right. Thanks....

If I bought one of those, and a 1Tb hybrid disk - or just a decent 1TB IDE disc - how readily could this 'bear of little brain' swop the big 'un for the the little 'n AND take the Win 10 64-bit OS along, too?

Then there's the graphics. I want to run a pair of monitors in Extended Screen mode, and that machine has a pair of DisplayPort outlets, I understand. I'm assuming I could use those, rather than the DVI-D and VGA alternatives....

I'm told by the helpful 'SteveD' that it's not worth the guys in't warehouse going to look - or maybe they're snowed under - or they don't get out of bed for an order less than 500 - or, or..... You guys on this forum will surely just know?

Last edited by oldbilbo; 06-05-17, 15:43.

Comment

The user manual/service manual is here:-

There is nothing stopping you swapping the supplied drive with a 1TB SATA drive (not IDE)

The board has a 3rd sata port available so you could always connect an external drive to that using an Esata backplate

You can use both DP connectors .
          Last edited by wonderlust; 06-05-17, 15:45.
          I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Thank you for that, Wonderlust. I'm showing my 'green' credentials ( as in 'iggorant'! I don't even have the vocabulary! ). Sounds like there's a viable solution pathway there for what I'd like to do/achieve.

FWIW, I've just ordered the second of two HP 23" LA2306x Refurb monitors from Aria. I'm well pleased with the first one, which arrived yesterday. My pair of middle-aged AOC LM729 17" jobs are dying, so those HP thingys are the dog's whatsits.

I note the link to the user/service manual didn't make it through the 'phlogiston'. Perhaps you could kindly retransmit...?

Comment

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/al...ual3_en-us.pdf
              I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Wunderbar, wonderlust!

Comment

looking at the layout in there it shouldn't be too difficult to install an SSD boot/os on the top of the drive cage... then just get a plain sata drive (Data/Storage) for the same price of a hybrid drive...
                  posted by scrivz69
                  I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                  i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

That's what I'd like to do, 'joker3327', so thanks for your confirmation that path seems a likely way forward. I have a 1TB vanilla SATA drive which I'll pull from an older device. That has an existing boot partition holding Win10 32-bit, but I'm sure I can lock the door on that.

Just for a smile, I noticed this elsewhere in the depths of the forum....

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below. Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.
                    Re-incarnation? I'll have some of that....
                    Last edited by oldbilbo; 07-05-17, 10:50.

Comment

That happens a lot to us timelords....
                      posted by scrivz69
                      I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Well, the Dell 7010 SFF box with Win10 64-bit and 2 Displayport outlets turned up today, together with the second HP 23" monitor. My desk was cleared... I looked forward to an interesting day setting it up and re-installing core progs and features.

Only, I couldn't.

It was immediately evident, once the layers of bubble wrap were scissored away, that the thing was broke! A corner of the alloy front fascia was missing, leaving a 'saw blade' of sharp edges. The bits were found inside the bubble wrap... The cardboard shipping-box was fine/undamaged.

Then, after a quiet weep and an email to Aria CS, I had another look. It wasn't even the advertised Dell 7010 SFF as above. Instead it was a much smaller and much lower spec Ultra SFF box, with a Windows 7 sticker on, and no room inside whatsoever for doing what I want to with the thing.

I spoke then with the CS chappie Declan, who offered to send me a Returns label, but really made my day by mentioning they had no more of the units advertised and which I'd 'bought', being exactly what I needed. It now seems that Aria will take some time to come up with what I'd gone for.....or anything else suitable.

....but I'd be pleased to be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Working...
                        X