Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick check

Pc working fine yesterday.

Booted it up this morning, hangs at bios boot before eventually telling me there is no bootable device present.

Restart and same thing. Unplug my SSD and the same thing only much quicker (so doesn't hang but get the same result). Go in to my bios, and the bios can't see the SSD.

Wiggled the connectors both ends for the SSD, same thing.

SSD failed? Not likely to be anything else right?
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

I had that once with an SSD just deadding itself

Comment

Swap SATA cable, try a different SATA port too, finally reset CMOS. Thats what i'd try.
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Was a mushkin chronos 240gb, checked my order history on aria, seems aria now don't save anything past a certain date but it's before 2013 , so it's at least 4 years old, probably more like 5.

Ok so, on the assumption that has died, 2 questions​.

First spec me an SSD around 250gb but not too bothered on speed.

Second, I upgraded from win 7 to win 10. I have genuine win 7 key and the CD.

Can I install win 7 from my cd and upgrade it again (or will win work it out) or will I have to do something different this time?

Sorry I am really terrible with software.
        GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
          First spec me an SSD around 250gb but not too bothered on speed.
          Samsung 850 Evo or Crucial m300.

Second, I upgraded from win 7 to win 10. I have genuine win 7 key and the CD.

Can I install win 7 from my cd and upgrade it again (or will win work it out) or will I have to do something different this time?
          Don't bother installing 7, just go straight to 10. You don't even need your 7 key. It might take a few reboots, but it'll figure it out and activate itself.
          Why did the chicken cross the road?
          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Key will be on Microsoft activation server so will auto detect, HDD change is fine, its more mobo etc, so i'd just straight install 10.

Samsung EVO 850 best reliability rate and speed.

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=66125

Comment

How do I straight install win 10?

I don't have the cd, do I need to put it on a usb stick? Do you know where I download it?
              GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I think you can still download it from windows direct using the "assistive tech" linkage thingy..

Comment

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Comment

Just a thought, but did you try another power cable, had this happen to be before now and like you my conclusion was the SSD but turned out to be the power cable connector, also in regards to windows 10, long as you make no other changes then it will be fine, and if you ever do make other changes then worst that happens is eventually you will stop getting updates, but even then you can phone up and get a new activation key via the automated system, providing you are not doing this every other week

Comment

Yea I didn't have much time this morning, but I will try a different data cable, ports, power connector etc.

If not reckon I will go for that Samsung 850 evo looks pretty good value and the 5 year warranty is a big plus.
                      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
                        Yea I didn't have much time this morning, but I will try a different data cable, ports, power connector etc.

If not reckon I will go for that Samsung 850 evo looks pretty good value and the 5 year warranty is a big plus.
                        *cough* as long as aria don't purge all sales records within 5 years*cough*

Originally posted by coiler
                        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Ok got home, tried different power cables, different data ports, different data cables no joy.

The fact that it hangs for so long whilst the SSD is plugged in leads me to believe the power and port is ok, and that it's trying to read/recognise the SSD then fails. I'll get ordering.
                          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

one thing, recently I have been transferring a lot of go pro videos on to my PC, then deleting most of them, GB's of data being written n the SSD every day, reckon that could have worn it out?
                            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

One other thing, stick in windows disk/usb, boot from disk/usb, pretend you are going to reinstall windows, and see what drives show up. If the SSD does show in list of available drives, partition it, format, and if happy then reinstall.

I've had a few SSD which failed like OP, but were reusable after a reinstall.

Comment

Working...
                              X