Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New build - power on then just power off..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build - power on then just power off..

Hi all,

Just put together the build as specced here.. http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....Spec-Check-pls

However there is a problem and I can't identify the cause..

I power the machine on, and the cpu fan spins up get all the lights etc.. looks good, then it just powers off.. and then on again.. and repeats this cycle.

The is no monitor signal the the short time it is powered on.

I have disconnect everything from the MB other than power, i.e. usb, audio, sata, mem.. same result.

I'm not sure what else to try?!?

I'm getting no beeps or any other diagnostic information? anyone any ideas?

Cheers.
    R.
    FILM QUIZ!!!!? Name the film from the quote!!
    "Right. Better clench up, Legolas"

Oh God. I fear it may be CPU incompatibility... I can't believe we skipped that. I'm so sorry! That board will need a BIOS update to support Kaby CPUs.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

ok how can I do that?

Comment

so I can't flash the bios without a CPU and obviusly I don't have a Skylake CPU lying around.

I called Declan in CS and he knew the issue straight away, but obv can't help, other than I have to pay to return the motherboard for Aria to flash for me.

Why would they sell these motherboards that claim to be compatible knowing they don't work with Kabylake CPU's without a bios flash which you can't do without a Skylake CPU..

Returning it is a complete ball ache, and my client will not be happy at all, this machine was supposed to be installed today ready for Tuesday.

Anyone in the Wolves area have a Skylake CPU I can loan for 20 mins?

Not a happy bunny

Comment

Just called CS again to arrange for me to return the motherboard for them to Flash as Declan said they'd do.

Spoke to someone else who then informs me that BIOS flash is a paid for service. What a surprise!!!

I didn't accept that, but I'm amazed that that was their response.

Eventually got the guy to agree that I shouldn't have to pay for this, it's bad enough I'm having to pay for the return.

So I shall await the RMA and hope the BIOS flash works.

My Client is not a happy bunny, I'll just have to swallow the discount I have given him to keep him as a client.. but heyho..

I shall be very aware with the whole Skylake / Kabylake thing is something to look out for.

I imagine they are getting a lot of this sort of thing. There should probably be a prominent warning.

R.

Comment

To be fair, if you look on the motherboard manufacturers website, it tells you on the CPU support list which CPUs are supported and if so, from what BIOS revision. A quick call to the retailer can confirm which BIOS revision their stock is being sold with, before point of sale.

It's extremely unlikely that any Skylake motherboards in stock will support a KabyLake out of the box as they'll nearly all have been manufactured before KabyLake CPUs were in production. It's normally no issue the other way around though. Kabylake boards will nearly always support a SkyLake CPU out of the box.
            Last edited by Bing; 02-05-17, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
              To be fair, if you look on the motherboard manufacturers website, it tells you on the CPU support list which CPUs are supported and if so, from what BIOS revision. A quick call to the retailer can confirm which BIOS revision their stock is being sold with, before point of sale.

It's extremely unlikely that any Skylake motherboards in stock will support a KabyLake out of the box as they'll nearly all have been manufactured before KabyLake CPUs were in production. It's normally no issue the other way around though. Kabylake boards will nearly always support a SkyLake CPU out of the box.
              Agreed. But unless you can Flash with no CPU there should be some sort of warning on the sales page surely?

You can be sure I'm not the only one with this issue as when I first called CS and spoke to Declan he knew what the issue was almost before I'd explained it to him.

But then I suppose as Aria sell a motherboard flash service maybe it's in their interest not to tell people. ?!?

Comment

I guess the onus is on both. If you just order a load of parts, there's no way for their system to tell whether you're going to use it in a single system or if you're a system builder ordering parts for multiple builds (which I have certainly done in the past!!). It's like ordering a motherboard, and a webcam to go in the CPU socket. They clearly aren't compatible, but that doesn't mean someone won't try That's why they have the system builder on the Gladiator PC website which will give you warnings or only list compatible parts - but they are a little more expensive.

However, while this issue exists, it would also be helpful if there was a compatibility list or even just a warning on the motherboard product page to check the compatibility list before buying.

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  I guess the onus is on both. If you just order a load of parts, there's no way for their system to tell whether you're going to use it in a single system or if you're a system builder ordering parts for multiple builds (which I have certainly done in the past!!). It's like ordering a motherboard, and a webcam to go in the CPU socket. They clearly aren't compatible, but that doesn't mean someone won't try That's why they have the system builder on the Gladiator PC website which will give you warnings or only list compatible parts - but they are a little more expensive.

However, while this issue exists, it would also be helpful if there was a compatibility list or even just a warning on the motherboard product page to check the compatibility list before buying.
                  I understand the former, and wouldn't expect the web site to know the compatibility of all parts, as you say people might be ordered for > 1 build.

However the latter on motherboards that are skt 1151, but not compatible with most of the skt 1151 CPU's you sell, might be handy!!

As I said, it's clearly a common problem, as Declan said the motherboard needs flashing pretty much as soon as I told him the order number, which if there had been a warning on the MB page I would have chosen a different board.

Ah well I will post the MB back today, and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by R1gg4 View Post
                    Agreed. But unless you can Flash with no CPU there should be some sort of warning on the sales page surely?

You can be sure I'm not the only one with this issue as when I first called CS and spoke to Declan he knew what the issue was almost before I'd explained it to him.

But then I suppose as Aria sell a motherboard flash service maybe it's in their interest not to tell people. ?!?
                    If you are building computers, then really you should know things like this. i have looked at every board they sell and every one states what cpu it supports, either in the title, description, or in the specification, even found a Z170 thats states it "Now BIOS Flashed for the latest Intel Kaby Lake CPUs", so im sorry dude, but this one is down to your lack of experience, and not Aria at fault

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ007 View Post
                      If you are building computers, then really you should know things like this. i have looked at every board they sell and every one states what cpu it supports, either in the title, description, or in the specification, even found a Z170 thats states it "Now BIOS Flashed for the latest Intel Kaby Lake CPUs", so im sorry dude, but this one is down to your lack of experience, and not Aria at fault
                      It's not my day job, and I know I'm not "Experienced" having only build 30-40 machines or so..

and I'm not saying it's Aria's fault, just they could make it easier for us who are not "Experienced" to notice the issue.

Having a skt 1151 motherboard that does not support skt 1151 cpu's, (without a bios flash that you can't do without an older version skt CPU in your possession) is certainly one that us non "Experienced" people may trip up on.

Obviously you would never make such a mistake, hence why it must be me that has no "Experience"

Comment

Aria is there to sell to the customer. That's why they exist. So anything they can do to help the customer out, and not leave a sour taste in their mouth is beneficial to them.

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          Aria is there to sell to the customer. That's why they exist. So anything they can do to help the customer out, and not leave a sour taste in their mouth is beneficial to them.
                          And nobody is saying any different?

Originally posted by R1gg4 View Post
                          It's not my day job, and I know I'm not "Experienced" having only build 30-40 machines or so..

and I'm not saying it's Aria's fault, just they could make it easier for us who are not "Experienced" to notice the issue.

Having a skt 1151 motherboard that does not support skt 1151 cpu's, (without a bios flash that you can't do without an older version skt CPU in your possession) is certainly one that us non "Experienced" people may trip up on.

Obviously you would never make such a mistake, hence why it must be me that has no "Experience"

I read every single motherboard (intel) listed and was able to determine what motherboard supported what CPU, after 30 to 40 builds and you cant automatically know without even looking that most if not all skylake motherboards would not need a bios update to supported a new gen cpu? that my friend is lack of experience, so why not take it on the chin and learn from it, and nobody said you had no experience, but you made a novice mistake for someone that has build "30 to 40" pc builds, that all im saying, and you may not have directly said it was Aria's fault, reading between the lines you was moaning about paying to have a bios update like it was Aria's fault and obligation to put right your error, and rightly so you should have to pay the postage to return it, just like Aria would if it was there error, also you could have just returned the board and exchanged it for a kabylake board, not sure what else Aria could have done, other than state in the listing that all skylake motherboard will require bios update for all kabylake processors, it might sound like im having a go at you, but thats not directly the case, when i read the #5 post, then sorry, but that wrong, what i would have been saying was thankyou Aria for correcting my mistake free of charge!
                          Last edited by TAZ007; 04-05-17, 11:00.

Comment

other than state in the listing that all skylake motherboard will require bios update for all kabylake processors
                            That's exactly what they should do.. and also point out whether the motherboard support flashing the BIOS without a CPU installed. It's pointless saying it supports Kabylake with a BIOS flash if you can't do that flash without a Skylake CPU.

It's obvious from the reaction of CS that it's a very common issue. I fully held my hand up and said it was my fault to CS.

However Aria have to take some responsibility for the information or lack of it on their site that sells the items, they provide links to the manufacturers web site.. brilliant, but when that then states supports Intel 7th Gen* (the asterisk meaning needs bios update) which is fine.. I can read most days

There is nowhere I can find that it states (Requires Skylake CPU installed on motherboard to flash BIOS before use with a Kabylake CPU) just might be handy for them to provide more information is all.

It wasn't lack of experience building PC's it was just a simple mistake (trust me it's not my first mistake either!!), which could have been avoided if the information was readily available.

Comment

I'm kinda with Taz on this too; if you're selling a built PC to someone, aren't you in the same position as Aria?
                              As a customer, they expect you to know the config you're selling them is going to work.

It's not your clients fault that Aria didn't tell you the mobo wasn't compatible.
                              Chalk it up to experience, but if you're selling a service, you should be 100% clear you know what you're selling, or at least give yourself some wiggle room in case mistakes happen. You and Aria both can do better
                              He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                              Originally posted by BigIan88
                              turn off that sexy nonsense
                              Originally posted by Salad Soup
                              turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Working...
                              X