Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how come VR makes big images from small screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how come VR makes big images from small screens?

like even in cinematic mode u can have what is equivelant to watching a 200 inch screen..how does that work 2 small 2 inch screens can look that big?

its an optical illusion/physics to do with mirrors and lenses? but how so?

the best way I can explain, in regards to the understanding of your poorly worded question, is... perceived resolution.

The eye pieces themselves in the rift/vive are 2160 x 1200, however, in VR, you can zoom/move in/out, thus change focus/perceived resolution, simply by moving your head around. though the eye pieces are 2160x1200, by moving your head from left-right, you are creating a field of view many times that number.

The best way I can explain by visualising on a 2d desktop would be to...

- go into MS paint, and create an image... (a stick man say) on a canvas that is 4x larger than your screen resolution.
    - Open the image on your screen at 100%.
    - then drag it around so you can see all of it.

In VR, rather than having to drag the image around, you move your head around.
    Last edited by I3R0K3N7FEET; 10-02-17, 01:03.

Comment

Here's the scientific explanation:

Last edited by RandomPC; 10-02-17, 01:06.

All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

lol good video

cheers guys

yeh like if I put a phone in my face obviously that screen would look huge even though It is in fact tiny...BUT the killer is..the resolution needs to be real high to look good close up, hence a phone wont look great or work well whereas vr designed to work well for that.

I'm not gonna ask how the vr works though that must be crazy, or maybe not? hehe

Comment

You've answered the question yourself really.

If it's closer, it looks bigger. And on some vr headsets, it's a decent enough res to look good close up. You also have to remember that with it being a high resolution small screen, the pixel density is a lot higher than the same result on a normal monitor, which also contributes.

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by upgraderbf3 View Post
            BUT the killer is..the resolution needs to be real high to look good close up, hence a phone wont look great or work well whereas vr designed to work well for that.
            You do actually notice the resolution on the Vive/Rift, I know certainly when I play FSX or X-Plane on the Vive, its quite hard to read any dials or displays because the small details become quite pixelated.

Ideally the headsets would have 4K displays in each eye, but then VR games need to run at around 90fps to keep things looking fluid (you notice frame drops a lot more in VR, they can also make you feel sick). VR already needs a good investment in PC components to run smoothly at it's current resolution. Building a PC that can render a game over two 4K screens while maintaining 90fps is going to cost a rather large amount of money. Maybe in a few years the third gen headsets will move to 4K resolutions.

Comment

i hear the pimax looks pretty epic running 1440p per eye.

cant say as i have yet to see one.
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

It is not just the closeness, but has a lot to do with where the eyes/brain are tricked into focussing.
                If you see (for instance) action taking place in a small image next to an object that your brain know the size of, it forces you to assume it is further away.
                I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                Dave Burnett

Comment

the short answer to the resolution is basically calculating the retina equivalent. Up close the eye has a higher resolution than it does farther away.

Comment

Working...
                  X