Clear All

• Unsure what the Problem is.

I have a 1 year old build that is giving me a headache, here are the specs

Intel Core i5-4430 3.00GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor
    ASRock H87M PRO4 Intel H87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard
    GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Samsung 120GB SSD 840 EVO.
    Corsair CS450M 450W Semi-Modular 80+ GOLD Certified PSU

Heres what heppens, when i turn the pc on, it would start up but nothing displays on the screen, I have tried another VGA cable and nothing, then I tried using a HDMI cable, but when it starts up it shuts down after a few seconds. So I checked the Heatsink/fan to see if it was overheating, heatsink was fine, but I did clean it up and reseated it. Then I tried my own PSU to see if that was the problem, still nothing.

Any ideas guys?
    Thanks
    Dan

swap all the things if you can dude, sounds cpu/mobo ish but without testing with working parts it is just a crap shoot
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

Hi, The RAM is working I have just tried it in another working PC and still nothing, so I think I have tested everything apart from the CPU and motherboard which I can't really do at this point, thanks anyway

Comment

tried clearing the cmos? (unplug machine from wall and take battery out of motherboard for a few hours)

Comment

^^^ never a bad idea if you have yet to try it
          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
          Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Alfizzle View Post
            tried clearing the cmos? (unplug machine from wall and take battery out of motherboard for a few hours)
            There's usually a jumper for doing this. Taking the battery out can cause damage if you're not careful but the jumper is a lot safer and easier too.

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
              There's usually a jumper for doing this. Taking the battery out can cause damage if you're not careful but the jumper is a lot safer and easier too.

Yeah there is, but sometimes it is more beneficial to cut power completely. I have had a few boards that didn't respond to the jumper being moved.

Never heard of any damage being caused from removing a battery.... Unless you jab at it with a screwdriver (which no one in there right mind would do) assuming hes re seated his cpu successfully and not damaged the socket i think he is more than competent to remove the battery

See below for jumper placement on your board.
              Last edited by Alfizzle; 17-01-17, 14:58.

Comment

Unless you jab at it with a screwdriver (which no one in there right mind would do)
                Did you ever meet qwertyk?

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  Did you ever meet qwertyk?
                  LOL..

That name is forbidden, Ban tbh..

Comment

Yeah there is, but sometimes it is more beneficial to cut power completely. I have had a few boards that didn't respond to the jumper being moved.

Never heard of any damage being caused from removing a battery.... Unless you jab at it with a screwdriver (which no one in there right mind would do) assuming hes re seated his cpu successfully and not damaged the socket i think he is more than competent to remove the battery
                    I managed to snap the prong off on one old mobo so it can happen. There used to be belief that handling button batteries could shorten their life. I have no idea if this still is nor ever was true (my Googlefu only brings up lots of stories about kids and pets swallowing them which is a different problem again) but jumpers are still more convenient in my opinion.

Surprised you've had some motherboards that it didn't work on though, it's just a hardware battery bypass so should work every time albeit you'd still need the machine unplugged from mains and the jumped in position for a little while (a few seconds should suffice).
                    Last edited by cold fusion; 17-01-17, 16:36.

Comment

I managed to snap the prong off on one old mobo so it can happen. There used to be belief that handling button batteries could shorten their life. I have no idea if this still is nor ever was true (my Googlefu only brings up lots of stories about kids and pets swallowing them which is a different problem again) but jumpers are still more convenient in my opinion.

Surprised you've had some motherboards that it didn't work on though, it's just a hardware battery bypass so should work every time albeit you'd still need the machine unplugged from mains and the jumped in position for a little while (a few seconds should suffice).
                      Most of the machines i had issues with still wouldn't post until i removed the battery for a while.

Although when i did get them posting, the clear cmos jumper did what it was supposed to.

I assume there may have been a capacitor inline or something.

I always thought it was a direct disconnect of the battery, but apparently on some boards its more effective to remove the battery for a while.

Comment

I sorry for the late reply, yes I have tried removing the battery and taking the power cable out, still no joy. So I think its the motherboard at fault, The RAM, PSU I have tested and I have also tried with a working graphics card.

Thanks for the help guys, Not been on these forums in a while, I think I will be using them a lot more

Regards
                        Dan

Comment

Do you have a PC speaker (the little beeper thing that sits on your motherboard jumpers inside your case) connected and do you hear any beeps when you power up?

Does the fans spin when powered up?

Comment

There used to be belief that handling button batteries could shorten their life. I have no idea if this still is nor ever was true
                            Well button batteries are apparently 1.5V, overall dry skin resistance is about 150kOhm, so discharge current would be 0.001mA. Capacity of a C2032 is about 200mAh so it would take 200,000 hours to discharge holding between fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                              Well button batteries are apparently 1.5V, overall dry skin resistance is about 150kOhm, so discharge current would be 0.001mA. Capacity of a C2032 is about 200mAh so it would take 200,000 hours to discharge holding between fingers.

Cmos battery's are 3v

Either way it's a myth.

Comment

Working...
                              X