Mobo-SSD-PSU odd problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobo-SSD-PSU odd problem

Ok i bought a second hand SSD for my HTPC which was working fine the day before so i just added it to the system without checking first and it did not boot, spent hours stripping it rebuilding it, nothing i tried would get it to posted even with the ssd removed, so i RMA the board, had a spare LGA1151, so i thought id upgrade my pc to a i7, and put the i3 in the spare MoBo, did not add the ssd at this point, wanted to check it was all working ok, loaded to window no problems, added the ssd, and again it failed to post, and would not post with it removed again, so i started to suspect the SSD might be a bit dodgy, so i ordered a new SSD for the HTPC, also ordered and new PSU to upgrade the one in my main rig, and use other in the HTPC as its is better quality, whilst i was waiting for my new items to arrive this morning i decided to try it all again, and no joy, when the time slot DPD gave me i started to remove my PSU to put into the HTPC, and before i removed the motherboard i decided to give it a try, and lo and behold it came back to life, booted to window and all is now fine.

So my question is this, for whatever reason is it possible for the SSD and PSU to not like each other, or is it more likely that the SSD is faulty and the Corsair CX430 could not handle it, or both just a pile of ?

Im reluctant to try the SSD again, and the Corsair CX430 PSU did work fine before the SSD was added, Would the Corsair CX430 PSU have any built in protection that would stop the motherboard from fully firing up? as the fans and led on the board all worked, just would not post

How old is the PSU? I've burned through a few of the CX series...
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Low end corsair PSU's are junk tbh, It wouldn't surprise me if that was the issue.

Probably the rails going out of spec (causing random hard to diagnose issues, usually making you not suspect the PSU) that is the way those CX series usually die.
      Last edited by Alfizzle; 08-11-16, 22:34.

Comment

Well i hope so, need to test the other boards now to see if the ok, still to scared to try the SSD as all was fine before i tried to add that

Dont know the age on the PSU had that second hand.

Comment

More importantly here... what SSD is it?
          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

some ssd are power hungry, but i doubt that alone would be enough.

cheap corsair power supply otoh have been known to be cheap.

that being said the ssd could also just be faulty and shorting....
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of anything relatively old and SF based makes CSM go bonkers, causing your rig to fail POST.
              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                I was thinking more along the lines of anything relatively old and SF based makes CSM go bonkers, causing your rig to fail POST.
                Yeah like those ocz agility/vertex drives... they also like to randomly not show in bios and like to cause windows not to boot. (I normally just turn of csm and put everything to legacy/compatibility mode)

Stupid, they always work fine when I test them on an older non uefi system!

Think his rig just won't post at all tho
                Last edited by Alfizzle; 10-11-16, 17:00.

Comment

I do think it is a case of CSM kicking in here. Unfortunately, it's a right pain and it made me get rid of a perfectly good Z77 Sabertooth for cheap (booo!) because I simply had no idea about the incompatibility and there was nothing online to suggest what was at fault.

That's why we need to know what the SSD is and what sort of system(s) it is going into.

Comment

Working...
                  X