Apple Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Rant

Almost made it into the lulwut threads in the mods room but thought i'd share my experience here.

For the last 2 nights, I've been helping a friend set up a music production room in his man cave/extension consisting of 2 Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus' and an Allen & Heath Xone 92 Mixer. I set everything up fine and got as far as connecting it to the device he wanted to stream to Facebook/Youtube from and that's where we came a bit unglued.

His 2012 Macbook wouldn't detect any input audio from the connected 3.5mm jack. After some troubleshooting and reading up online it came about that Apple decided to create some of these laptops with a combo port and the only way to enable it to detect a mic or input source was to use a TRRS cable - so we ordered some from Amazon and tackled it again yesterday.

Low and behold, that didn't work either. I rang my dad and contacted several audiophile friends on Facebook to see if anyone could offer some advise as to why it isn't working as my experience with anything Apple related is somewhat limited. Various testing took place based on several suggestions until my dad called me back and mentioned that one site he had come across (which we found ourselves a few moments later) stated Apple removed the input feature/line in from Macbook's in late 2012 and the only way to input now was via USB.

As you can imagine, we were a little confused as to why they decided to do such a thing and was frustrated that something so simple to do was made infinitely more difficult as a result of them removing a port/feature. I have advised him to grab a cheap laptop if he can or we'll need to explore what options we have to output his mixer via 6.35mm to USB.

i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
    For the last 2 nights, I've been helping a friend set up a music production room in his man cave/extension consisting of 2 Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus' and an Allen & Heath Xone 92 Mixer.
    Nice gear, but that's DJing, not music production

Comment

"music production room"

That's one area of the room, he has an iMac and a few Moog's set up at the other side
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

"music production room"

That's one area of the room, he has an iMac and a few Moog's set up at the other side
        I'm just being pedantic because you did say "consisting of 2 Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus' and an Allen & Heath Xone 92 Mixer" which has naff all to do with music production (aside from the fact that some producers are also DJs).

Cool set up though. I used to have a similar room before my 1st born.

Comment

We're about to move from a 2 bedroom flat in to a 3 bed house for that exact reason.. Need a little music/recording room.

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Most places say you can still use the combo plug as a mic input on 2012 macbooks. I still think your adaptor was for audio out only, rather than a input/output combo and so there was nothing there for the macbook to detect.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...crophone-input

You weren't using a splitter like that. You were using a mini jack to 2x male jacks/rca - can remember which - (the fact it had 3 lines on the other end is almost irrelevant), which I suspect are just a stereo out, rather than a split between mic and headphones. In fact, I'm almost sure of it.

Can you put a link to where you bought the cable from?
            Last edited by Aaron; 13-10-16, 11:46.

Comment

I've just looked at the pictures you sent me again. I'm now almost sure on what I said last night (and in my previous message). I'm pretty convinced the jack cables are a left and a right output from the headphone socket of the macbook and the mic part isn't actually connected to anything.

But I hope i'm wrong as then you won't have to get any extra kit in Do a test. Plug the jack leads in to an input somewhere - the mixing desk would be a good place. Plug the other end in to the macbook headphone socket. Play something, and I bet you get sound out of both channels the jack lead is plugged in to.
              Last edited by Aaron; 13-10-16, 11:47.

Comment

That is the exact cable we used (ordered via amazon), we cane across that site too and used it for reference.

The TRRS went in to the side of the Macbook, we tried the full plugs to a single 3.5mm input into one of the ports on the splitter to no avail. The Mac didn't detect that an input signal had been detected and the drop down menu/device didn't appear as an option to select:

As a desperate attempt to see what would happen, we tried both cables into both ports and the same thing happened.

The setup we had was Mixer > 6.35mm to 3.5mm > 3.5mm to TRRS > TRRS to Macbook & Mixer > 6.35mm to RCA > RCA to TRRS > TRRS to Macbook

Comment

That is the exact cable we used
                  I know.. that's the picture you sent me last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                    I know.. that's the picture you sent me last night.
                    I was referring to your question!

Can you put a link to where you bought the cable from?

Comment

I'm sure that cable is just an output as I said. The combo plug doesn't make a mic input appear if it detects an input, otherwise it would disappear every time it went quiet.

It detects it by it making a circuit with something else - if the mic part of your cable isn't connected to anything, then it's as good as not having anything plugged in.

Do the test and then post your findings here.

Comment

I was referring to your question!
                        But you didn't put a link!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                          But you didn't put a link!

It was the exact same StarTech cable but ordered from Amazon

Comment

Do the test I suggested and let us know what happens..

Comment

Working...
                            X