Memory Card Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Card Readers

I havnt looked at purchasing a memory card reader since I properly worked at Aria and then that was one that went in the 3.5m slot on the case front.

Now im after an external USB card reader that can take SD, Micro SD (without an adaptor card) and CF.
    I've looked around and most cheap ones seem the same but then you get the ones that are about 25/30 quid.

I need one mainly for transferring Photos and Videos on to my Mac.
    Im transferring a good few gig's worth at a time, this weekend it was about 15Gb worth of images.

Any one user them anymore and if so what you use?
    Is it worth splashing out the 25/30 quid or will a 5 quid one be just as good?

FL
    Check out FL-Photos & Lee Whittaker Photography

You can pick up USB 3.0/3.1 card readers for a few quid but I suspect what's driving up the price here is the compact flash card capability
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Had a similar thought last night when I tried to get some photos off my 40D and couldn't find an 'old' USB (mini) lead - flipped open the memory card slot and remembered it was a CF and my heart sank
      Originally posted by coiler
      He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
      Originally posted by BigIan88
      turn off that sexy nonsense
      Originally posted by Salad Soup
      turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

I very rarely use CF to be honest but its just to have it there just in case really.

Comment

I would sa go for a mid range one.
          The cheap ones are slow. The expensive ones tend to be "named" brand and the name is what you're paying for.
          I paid about 12 for mine some time ago just when USB3 came out. Even using USB 2 it is faster than a USB2 one.
          I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
          Dave Burnett

Comment

Yeah Im thinking of a mid range one.
            I had a look on Aria and they only sell one cheap one

Im going a Camera show at weekend so will see if any of the stalls sell stuff like them and see if any mid range ones there.

Comment

I've been looking for something similar. But CF seems to be a dying breed as far as card readers go.

While cheap ones may be slow, it is hardly a case of hours to clear a card.
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
              Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Working...
              X