Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent problem

Hi guys,

My mate build a new PC with bits from aria I recommended him. He has the inconsistent and intermittent problem with his PC whereby during gaming the PC will completely turn off for no reason.

He describes it as the screen gooes completely black, PC is completely unresponsive and he has to turn it off.

His specs are something like
    Intel I5 Ivybridge
    MSI motherboard
    630 Be quite PSU
    sapphire 7870 gpu
    SSD
    dvd drive

No he has done about a million software changes, new drivers, old drivers, reformat drive, disable anti virus all sorts but nothing solved it. Between us we think it is possibly either PSU or GPU.

Now he borrow an old PSU of mine, and plugged it in and it didnt crash. However he then plugged his existing PSU back in, and its also been fine.

The only thing is the whole time of doing this he has had his case open and has noticed the temps are lower. He has been monitoring temps he said they were abot 20c cooler with teh case open, however before the most he ever seen it get to ever was about 58c.

Anyone got any ideas??????????? Im stuck.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Could one of the original PSU wires have been slightly loose in a plug? Replacing the PSU could have pushed the pin back in to place. Molex are a bugger for it lol...

As for heat, if he's getting a 20C reduction with the side of the case off, he needs to improve his airflow. But what is that temp? CPU or GPU? If it's CPU that's quite warm anyway, and the GPU could be getting a lot hotter... The PSU could have even been overheating (and it's unlikely that PSU temp is monitored anyway) and cutting out instead of allowing itself (or the PC) to get damaged.
    Last edited by FunkY; 18-03-13, 15:15.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Just one to check, the cpu cooler, is it stock or a 3rd party cooler? Make sure it is fixed on correctly, had a similar issue with a stock intel one where one of the plastic peg feet was bent and the cooler wasnt on fully so overheating and shutdown But it did look like it was on correctly

Comment

Its a third party cooler on the CPU, that was GPU temp by the way not CPU, his CPU temps are all lower.

I must admit what you are saying about a loose plug, that also popped into my mind. and the fact that when he has swapped PSU's around he has now plugged it in properly.

He has a lian li case (a quite expensive one as i recall) and the one and only component that wasnt bought from aria.
        GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I would run furmark for a good half hour or so dude, this will stress the gpu 100% so even more than when you are gaming, if it doesnt shut down then its not the gpu causing the issue then can look elsewhere, do you know what cpu temps are when gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by gray.woodford View Post
            I would run furmark for a good half hour or so dude, this will stress the gpu 100% so even more than when you are gaming, if it doesnt shut down then its not the gpu causing the issue then can look elsewhere, do you know what cpu temps are when gaming?

Mid 50's at the highest. I will get him to run furmark worth a go thanks.
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
              Hi guys,

My mate build a new PC with bits from aria I recommended him. He has the inconsistent and intermittent problem with his PC whereby during gaming the PC will completely turn off for no reason.

He describes it as the screen gooes completely black, PC is completely unresponsive and he has to turn it off.

His specs are something like
              Intel I5 Ivybridge
              MSI motherboard
              630 Be quite PSU
              sapphire 7870 gpu
              SSD
              dvd drive

No he has done about a million software changes, new drivers, old drivers, reformat drive, disable anti virus all sorts but nothing solved it. Between us we think it is possibly either PSU or GPU.

Now he borrow an old PSU of mine, and plugged it in and it didnt crash. However he then plugged his existing PSU back in, and its also been fine.

The only thing is the whole time of doing this he has had his case open and has noticed the temps are lower. He has been monitoring temps he said they were abot 20c cooler with teh case open, however before the most he ever seen it get to ever was about 58c.

Anyone got any ideas??????????? Im stuck.

When did you/he buy the gpu? if it was pre november 2012 im willing to bet 20 its the GPU. i had a sapphire 7870 . Had to RMA it as i was having the exact same problem while gaming - random black screen. It's a known issue in that sapphire admitted to using cheap cappacitors that were getting "electrically noisey" and basically shorting the rest of the card out.

this was a post from thier offical forums:

" Important Information Regarding 7870 OC and "Black Screen" issues

There has been considerable discussion about black screen issues on AMD graphics cards.

We are aware of a specific black screen issue on some of the SAPPHIRE HD 7870 OC products. The black screen issue that we have identified does NOT appear on all cards, is intermittent and can randomly appear anything up to 5 hours or more into gameplay.

It turns out to be caused by a component tolerance issue on some of our early production boards requiring a minor component change to keep operation of the board within stable specifications. Unfortunately as the black screen only happened on a small percentage of these boards, it was initially difficult to replicate and address the issue. We can now be sure that all new products shipped after October 16th 2012 has already had the revision implemented.

This issue only affects the original HD 7870 OC build - other cards in this family such as the HD 7870 FleX Edition, and the later HD 7870 cards with the revised pcb design are NOT affected.

Any end user reporting this problem can have the matter resolved by our normal RMA procedures.
              Of course our RMA teams are aware of this specific issue being difficult to replicate, so boards reported with this issue will not be returned as 'no fault found' if they have the original component configuration.

We know how frustrating such issues can be if you are one of the small percentage of affected users, and we apologise for the inconvenience. We assure you of a prompt response from our RMA team for anyone suffering from this problem.

To all the users suffering this specific black screen with the SAPPHIRE HD 7870 OC model, or a different faulty card please contact your retailer (if within 1 year of purchase) or SAPPHIRE directly.

European Region: eutech@sapphiretech.com
              United States: rma@althonmicro.com
              Canada: rma@althon.com
              Asia and Pacific Region: tech@sapphiretech.com

"Thanks for your attention "

Googling "sapphire 7870 black screen of death" brings up a few hits as well (how i innitially found it)

I knwo for definite it affect cards (roughly) pre November. Could possibly have affected ones after as ell.

hope this helps!

*EDIT* - spelling
              Last edited by wingy9; 19-03-13, 12:49.

Comment

Its not the OC version but thanks thats helpful.
                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                X